Chapter 111 - The Beginning of the End

"I have to say, I'm rather fond of tiger lilies for the flowers," John admitted as they made their way through town. "I know they were only one of the suggestions, and I'd obviously be more than willing to go with anything you'd like, but since you wanted my opinion, that's what I'm leaning towards."

"I do like tiger lilies," Lyssa said with a strained smile, unwilling to admit she'd insisted on getting his opinion on the flowers first because it was for their imaginary wedding set the following spring and she had no idea what any of the options were supposed to be.

Because, you know, it was an imaginary wedding, and she'd started internally panicking the moment he'd brought it up - because there was a big difference between finally admitting you liked someone and actually marrying them, albeit an amnesiac version.

"I suppose it's just one more sign we were meant to be," John teased, sending her a warm smile.

She laughed. "It's good that we agreed on this one, because everyone knows that liking the same flowers are the true sign of a happy life together. Not, you know, sharing morals, or life goals, or love, or anything important like that."

"Well, some people are only in it for the money," John wrinkled his nose. "But I love you, and you love me, and we both want what's best for the other... Do we really need much more than that?"

Lyssa struggled to keep a stream of incomprehensible sputtering from spilling out her mouth - the usual result whenever he said anything like that, and he knew it, which is why he sent her a smirk, laughter plainly visible in his eyes.

"Well, a place to live would be nice," she finally managed to mumble after a moment of flushed cheeks and jumbled words, turning to watch a nearby boy tossing a cricket ball in the air to avoid his gaze.

"Bah, houses are overrated," he scoffed, slowing their pace dramatically as he turned his head towards one of the stores where several men were lifting a large piano up towards the second floor using a rope that was visibly straining under the weight, the instrument hovering high in the air. "All you really need..." He trailed off as a woman turned the corner towards the store, pushing a baby in a pram. "Is a bit..."

Lyssa gasped as the rope began to give way under the strain, fraying and unraveling into broken strands as the woman unknowingly headed right towards the spot below.

"No!" she cried, jerking towards them, knowing she wouldn't reach them in time, only for John to move faster.

Moving at a speed she'd seen only from the Doctor, he reached out and snatched the cricket ball from the young boy, pitching it at a bundle of spare scaffolding poles standing outside the ironmongers. As if in a train of dominoes, the poles fell at just the right angle, hitting a plank of wood with a brick on the end. The brick flew into the air, up and over the piano - just as the rope snapped and sent it hurtling to the ground.

Lyssa could only watch in stupefied amazement as the brick hit a milk churn on a cart, sending it falling into the path of the pram and jerking it to an abrupt halt. The woman screamed as the piano smashed into the floor mere feet from her baby, reaching inside and cradling the wailing infant protectively to her chest as splinters of wood flew into the air. The two workmen originally lifting the piano practically flew down the stairs and out the door to make sure they were both all right.

"You saved them!" Lyssa exclaimed, turning to John with wide eyes, her heart beating so loudly she could hear it pounding in her ears. He looked as awestruck as Lyssa felt, staring at his hands with wide eyes of his own.

He let out a faint little laugh. "Lucky," he muttered, eyes still wide and startled.

"Luck?" Lyssa repeated incredulously. "That wasn't luck! John, you just saved the lives of two people! You're a hero!"