Chapter 71 - The Imposter's Imposter

Her clone scoffed and leapt forward, immediately going for the attack. Lyssa shrieked and fell backwards, her hands tightening reflexively on the pipe. The clone laughed, continuing to advance on her as she tried to back away. 

Her eyes flew to the Doctors, but she shook off the thought immediately. She needed to keep the clone away from the Doctors, who were unable to defend themselves if the clone decided to attack them. 

"So much for being ready to fight," the clone sneered, not bothering to rush at her again. "You're just as pathetic as I thought you were."

"Yeah, well, at least I don't rely on murdering other people and stealing their identity for a living," Lyssa shot back weakly, eyes darting around the room for anything that she could use to help her. But aside from the boxes in the corner, and the large bush in the center of the room with its roving tendrils, the room was empty.

"Lyssa, get out of here! We can escape on our own!" the Tenth Doctor shouted, straining furiously at his chains once more. 

"Yeah, 'cause that's been working so well for you," the clone snarked, not taking her eyes off of Lyssa. 

"Yeah, not really helping, guys," Lyssa muttered, dread pooling in her stomach as she scanned her opponent for any signs of weakness, any hint of an opening. On the bright side, since the clone had her face and body language, she could read her pretty well.

On the down side, she couldn't find any openings.

Yay her. 

She yelped when the clone jumped at her again, and reflexively swung her pipe in defense, hitting her in the side and knocking her down with a groan. The force of the unexpected hit threw Lyssa off balance, and she stumbled to the side before catching herself. 

Evidently quicker at recovering than humans, the clone leapt to her feet in an instant, fingers curled into claws. "Enough of this! You clearly don't know how to fight, and it wouldn't do you any good even if you did! My knowledge and experience is superior to yours in every way! Give up now, and I may go easy on you."

Lyssa held the pipe out in front of her like a barrier, gripping it with two hands in an attempt to keep it from visibly shaking. She swung it out threateningly as the clone circled her, a cruel sneer marring her face. 

"I'm still the one with the weapon," she reminded the clone, trying to make her voice steady and warning.

The clone raised both her eyebrows mockingly, looking her up and down, then let out a low laugh. Turning around so her back was to Lyssa, she raised both hands in the air in apparent surrender. 

"Go on, then. Hit me with it, if you think you have the courage to do so."

The pipe wavered in the air, sinking slightly.

"Wh-what?"

"Hit me with it," the clone repeated cheerily. "I mean, you do have what it takes to take out a threat to your friends, right? Because if you don't take me down, your friends will die, and I will enjoy being the one to do it. Right now is your chance to stop me. So. Take it. Prove you have what it takes."

"Lyssa, don't do it, this is a trap," Ten yelled out in warning, yanking at his chains and cursing under his breath when they didn't give way. "She's trying to get you to let her guard down! If you get close enough she'll have you! Just get out of here while you still can!"

"'She' has a name, you know," the clone growled. "I am Maesita, and I swear on my life that this is no trap. If your friend can muster up the courage to take me out, you'll all go free. I have your keys in my pocket, and you can use those to escape. But if she's too weak to take down a simple threat that won't fight back, then I get all of you. I have an experiment I've been working on, and none of the past subjects have lived past the second stage. But if I have a Time Lord who can regenerate after life-threatening wounds..." she trailed off, her pleasure at the thought clear in her voice.