Epilogue - The End of the Beginning

This chapter is dedicated to all of my readers, past, present, and future, who made this story possible. Thank you and Merry Christmas. <3

"So... I know you can't tell me everything," Lyssa started hesitantly, a few minutes later as they strolled down the corridor, hand in hand, to find the Ranger and Clara, "but... my future self..." She grimaced apologetically as the Doctor winced. "Sorry, I know, I just.... is there anything you can tell me?" It had been a little unnerving to see her future self look so pale and pained, and to know almost nothing about what had happened. "Any sort of hint, even?"

He sighed, hand tightening a little around hers. "I can't answer that," he said slowly. "What happened there was.... precarious. Balanced on the edge of a knife, and just the slightest bit of change could tilt it too far to something far worse."

She blinked. "Right. Well, that's comforting."

He stopped, turning to face her. "I wish I could tell you everything," he told her quietly. "You're my -" Lyssa tilted her head to the side curiously as a strange, lilting word came out of his mouth, untranslated by the TARDIS but soft and soothing and wrapping around her like a warm, gentle hug. He saw her confusion and smiled. "My... everything, I suppose," he huffed a laugh. "The one who I trust with all that I have - my TARDIS, my life, and one day, my name. It feels.... wrong, that I can't tell you, that I can't warn you about every hardship you're going to face along the way." He paused. "What I can tell you is that no matter where or when you are, you are loved beyond measure, and no matter what, I will always come for you."

She managed a small smile, reaching one hand up to cup his cheek. "And I appreciate that, more than you know. And it really does help. It's a lot harder to be scared knowing that a tenacious Time Lord is on his way to save you."

He laughed a little. "To be honest, half the time you've already saved yourself by the time I show up, all I have to do is give you a ride home. Maybe help with the clean-up, a bit," he shrugged.

She laughed. "I'll take your word for that."

"Hey, Doctor! Lyssa! There you are!" the Ranger called, hurrying up to them, hand-in-hand with Clara, both with dirt smudges. "We've been looking for you for ages!"

Lyssa raised an eyebrow, exchanging a glance with the Doctor. "We only just left the main room, and have gone down two hallways. Where have you been looking?"

"Everywhere but here, apparently," Clara sighed. "Shouldn't have even been able to get lost down here, with everything clearly labeled, but we did it."

"So I might have gotten a little mixed up," the Ranger admitted. "In my defense..." Clara raised an eyebrow and he grinned sheepishly. "Yeah, okay, I have no defense."

"Well, if you need any help, the TARDIS is this way," Lyssa laughed, turning back towards the Main Hall. They passed a few other visitors as they made their way back to the TARDIS, including one oddly familiar-looking couple studying the painting of Arcadia that had her turning back to confirm she didn't know them.

"See someone you know?" the Ranger asked as they entered the TARDIS, and she nodded, letting the door fall shut behind her.

"Yeah. Thought I recognized someone." She shrugged. "He just looks like an actor from back in my old universe, that's all."

"So, where are we going?" Clara asked, leaning against the console as the Doctor warmed up the TARDIS."

He grinned, slamming down a lever and sending them off. "I haven't the faintest idea. Let's find out, shall we?"

xXx

"So, how are you feeling?" Lyssa asked, watching her friend with concern. "You look very, um..."