Chapter 35 - Escape the Room

Lyssa's eyes widened as she stared at the man on the screen. He looked like the villain from Sherlock - but no, that world didn't exist here. It was just one of those eerie coincidences that they'd chosen a man who looked like him for the introductory video to the escape room. 

Except... the Doctor and Bria weren't reacting like that. The Doctor had tensed immediately, shifting to stand in front of the two girls, and Bria... had ducked behind Lyssa with a gasp, putting her hands over her mouth. At least Scott looked just as confused as she felt. 

The man gave an exaggerated pout. "What a reaction. I'm disappointed," he drawled in a soft voice, fixing the lapels on his purple suit as if to comfort himself. "And here I was, thinking you'd be glad to see me." His gaze locked on Lyssa's and a smile crept onto his face. "Although, I'm definitely glad to see you here," he practically purred. "I've been looking for you, Alyssa."

The Doctor bristled. "What do you want, Master?" he demanded.

Lyssa sucked in a breath. "That's the Master?" she repeated, peering around him disbelievingly to peer at the man on the screen. "I thought that was - but... I thought he was dead."

"Dead?" He repeated incredulously before turning to the Doctor. "Quit telling people I'm dead!" he yelled at him before sighing and reverting to his calm demeanor. "As you can see, I'm nowhere near dead. In fact, I must confess I'm a little disappointed that you ever thought I could be. I expected better," he tutted. "I'll have you know I'm quite good at staying alive.

She glanced at the Doctor, hoping he would tell her it was all a horrid joke, but he just shook his head, refusing to take his eyes away from the screen. 

The... Master... smirked as he met her gaze, then looked beyond her and widened his eyes in exaggerated shock. "Is that B I see back there, hiding behind others like the coward she always was? I see you haven't changed. Come on out and show me your face," he called.

Bria let out a quiet whimper before stepping out from behind Lyssa. 

"Bria, no!" Lyssa hissed, trying to keep the other girl behind her without looking away from the screen, half-afraid something horrid would happen if she did. "Don't listen to him."

"I have to," she whispered back apologetically, head bowed as she stumbled out to stand in front of the screen, arms wrapped defensively around her stomach.

"Oh, B, you really have grown up. You even have a name and everything," the Master chuckled. "Do you feel more like a human now? Like something of value?" he crooned before his smile dropped into a sneer. "Because you aren't. You're just a means to an end. A way to pass the time. That's all you're useful for. Isn't that right, Alyssa?"

"Oh, would you shut up already?" Lyssa rolled her eyes, momentarily too aggravated to be scared. "Don't listen to him, Bria," she ordered the girl, taking her arm and pulling her back behind her with a glare at the screen. "He got stuck in the dark ages and clearly has yet to grasp basic intelligence if he can't recognize a person when he sees one. So much for being a superior species," she scoffed. 

She turned back to the screen, giving the Master a contemptuous glare that matched the look he was giving her. "Why don't you just tell us what new, totally original plan you're using for whatever totally new things you want, and we can call it a day already," she suggested condescendingly. 

"You speak of things you can't possibly understand, Alyssa," he sneered. "What I want is nothing more than you lying dead at my feet, blood coating the sacrificial blade, as I recreate Time and the universe the way it was meant to be." He turned to the Doctor, giving him a smile that only accentuated the madness growing in his eyes. "It's coming, Doctor. So very close now. Just a little bit longer, and you'll be right there to see it happen.