Chapter 118 - Hello, It's Me

After five months with the Doctor, Lyssa wasn't quite sure what to expect when she finally jumped. Her body had changed enough that she knew she could go without jumping that long and have no adverse effects. But then there had also been the whole thing where the Doctor had become human and the TARDIS had shut off, leaving the energy to build up with no real outlet like she normally would have, and she wasn't sure if that would have any repercussions.

So it was a bit of a relief when she found herself in the familiar spiral of gold without the literally blinding pain.

It was less of a relief when the woman from her previous attempt to look forward showed up, appearing exactly the same as she had two months earlier, from her golden hair to the blood-red tunic.

"What are you doing here?" Lyssa reared back in shock, wishing she could move further. "What do you want?"

The woman scrunched up her nose in distaste. "I don't want to be here anymore than you do," she muttered. "But there are rules even I have to obey."

"What are you talking about?" Lyssa asked warily.

The woman glowered as her form flickered. "Normally it would be the other way around. But..." Her lips curled up in a mockery of a smile. "I suppose it will be fun to do it this way, just this once."

"No, seriously, what are you talking about?" Lyssa repeated nervously. She glanced around, wishing she would land somewhere already, just to be on solid ground even if she couldn't run.

The woman followed her gaze, the cruel smirk still on her features. "This is the only place where we can safely meet, you know," she said casually, if patronizingly. "The price can be endured. Or at least it hasn't killed you yet." She lifted one shoulder in a faint impression of a shrug. "Much like being stabbed in a hospital, I suppose. Everything you need to heal is right there on hand."

"What price?" Lyssa demanded, feeling more and more thrown off with every additional sentence.

The woman sobered abruptly, fixing her with an unnerving stare. "Someone's trying to change things. But only I'm allowed to do that," she sneered. "So I'm changing them right back." She looked Lyssa up and down with an unimpressed gaze. "And you'll be needing the help to get through the time lock."

"W-wait, time lock?" Lyssa stammered as dread pooled in her stomach. "You mean, the time lock that blocks off the Time War? What - why would I be going anywhere near that? No one can even go near it."

"Silly girl," the woman rolled her eyes. "Because history says you did. And who am I to argue with history?" She made an expression of distaste. "Did he really say that? No wonder no one ever listens to him." She turned her attention back to Lyssa. "Did no one ever tell you?"

"Tell me what?" Lyssa frowned, eying the woman nervously.

"We're creatures of Time, Lyssa Devons," the woman said flatly. "It runs through our veins, is written into our DNA. A time lock is no more of a barrier to us than a locked door would be to someone with a key." Her eyes locked on Lyssa's. "And you are the key."

Lyssa shook her head, wishing she could back further away from the obviously unhinged woman. "The Time War was locked for a reason, it and all of Gallifrey's history. It drove Dalek Caan mad when he broke through it. Why do you want me to do this?"

"Because if you can, then so can I," the woman smiled. "Don't worry. You're not supposed to die quite yet. You'll just feel like you were."

And with that, she thrust out her hand, a surge of gold energy pouring out and rushing at Lyssa, slamming into her like a wave of water. She fell backwards with a cry, the swirling colors of the vortex rapidly fading away into inky blackness. And all the while the woman watched, with nothing but impassive blankness on her face until she, too, faded and was gone.