Chapter 5

I just looked at him. "Dr. Oliver, what is it? Why are you so quiet all of a sudden?" I asked. "Listen, Ariel, this might be hard to understand but, your parents, they..." Tommy said. "Dr. Oliver, are they, dead?" I asked. "No, they're not dead. They are actually alive but they are living in a different place." Tommy said. "Where are they?" I asked. "They are living in this witness protection program shelter. There is this witness protection agency that helps people deal with getting over witnessing certain crimes. When you were a baby, you and your mother were in a home invasion. Your mother was very concerned about your safety so she fought the intruders off and called the cops. Then she called the witness protection agency. She didn't know what was going to happen to you. They told her to not worry because they were going to move you to a foster family that would love to take care of you. Your father didn't come back to take care of you." Tommy said. "So, let me get this straight. I've been living with a foster family my whole life." I said. "Yeah. Anyway, five years later your dad witnessed a bank robbery. He did the same
thing. Called the cops and the witness protection agency." Tommy said. "And they're still there?" I asked. "Unfortunately, yes. They didn't catch those people yet. Once the police catch the people who did the crime the witnesses protection agency releases the people that were the witnesses to that crime. After that, if they have any family members they can get them and go back to the place where they lived before witnessing the crime they saw. Sometimes, they might need to have some mental rehabilitation, depending on how traumatic it was to witness that crime." Tommy said. I couldn't believe it. The next day is Saturday and I decided that I was going to go visit my parents. The next day I went to the witness protection agency shelter and walked up to the front desk. "Hello." I said. "Hi, how can I help you?" Kaitlyn said. "I'm Ariel, I'm here to meet my parents." I said. "Who are your parents?" Kaitlyn said. "Kira Ford and Trent Fernandez-Mercer." I said. "Okay, Trent is in room twelve on the second floor and Kira is in the next room over." Kaitlyn said. "Thanks." I said before going up to the second floor. I knocked on the door to Trent's room and Trent answered the door. "Hello?" Trent said. "Hi, are you Trent Fernandez-Mercer?" I asked. "Yeah, who are you?" Trent asked. "My name's Ariel, I'm your daughter." I said. "I don't have a daughter." Trent said. "Yes you do." I said. Trent closed the door on me. "She's crazy, I don't have a daughter." Trent said to himself. I walked over to the next door and knocked and Kira answered the door. "Ariel, what are you doing here?" Kira asked. "I came to visit you and dad but it's like dad dosen't know me and he also thinks that I'm not his daughter." I said. "Listen sweetheart, something happened that made him lose all of his memories of you." Kira said.

I gave her a confused look. "What do you mean? What happened?" I asked. Kira let me come into her room and she let me sit on her bed that she just made this morning. "I don't know exactly what happened but I do know that he lost all of his memories of you." Kira said. "I thought that he would remember me but he doesn't." I said. "Ariel, there hasn't been a day when I didn't think about you." Kira said. "So you thought about me for all these years." I said. "Yes, I knew that you were safe." Kira said. "There's something that I always wanted to say." I said. "And what was that?" Kira asked. "Wherever you are, I will find you. I will always find you." I said. Kira smiled at me. "Your father said the same thing when he was your age." Kira said. "I didn't know that." I said. "He said that to me when we were teenagers." Kira said. I didn't know what else to say so I said goodbye to my mom and left. I went back to the lab and told Tommy what happened while I was there. He was actually really surprised to hear that my dad didn't recognize me at all. "There's got to be a reason why he didn't recognize you at all." Tommy said. "My mom said that something happened that made him lose all his memories of me but she dosen't know what exactly happened that made him lose all his memories of me." I said. "I could try to figure out what made him lose all his memories of you but it's getting kinda late. I'll take you home and explain what happened to your parents. And by that I mean your foster parents." Tommy said. "Okay." I said. He drove me home and when he knocked on the door my foster mom came to the door. "Hey sweetheart." Lily said. "Hey." I said as I hugged her. Then I went up to my room and got ready for bed. "Thanks for bringing her back home. I thought she was going to be here when I got home from work but she wasn't. Why wasn't she here?" Lily said. "Something came up. She went to go meet her real parents. It went well but the bad thing is that her dad didn't recognize her at all." Tommy said. "Wow, I thought that he would." Lily said. "Same here. I should get going." Tommy said. "Okay, bye Tommy Oliver. And thanks again for bringing my foster daughter back home." Lily said. "Bye." Tommy said. Then he left. The next day I was training by myself when my communicator went off. I knew that someone was trying to contact me so I asked who it was and it was Tommy. He wants me to meet him at the lab. I told him that I will be there as soon as I can. When I got there he walked up to me. "Ariel, I found out what happened to your dad." Tommy said. "What is it Dr. Oliver?" I asked. "Your father got struck with amnesia during the bank robbery that he witnessed ten years ago." Tommy said. "Wait, my father was struck with amnesia?" I asked surprised. We have been studying it in health class, so I know what amnesia is. Tommy nodded. "Do you know what type of amnesia he has?" I asked. "I don't know what type of amnesia he has." Tommy said. That's when I thought that I can find out what type of amnesia he has so I decided to talk to my mom about it. She would be the first one to know. When I asked her she said that dad got struck with dissociative amnesia. That's when I thought that the bank robbery that he witnessed must have been really bad. I said goodbye to my mom and hung up. I have a test coming up in health class and it's going to be on the amnesia chapter so I told Tommy that I have some homework to catch up on and I also have to study for the upcoming test in my health class. He said that it was okay and that I can leave right now if I want. I went back home and went into my bedroom and worked on my homework for about two hours. Then it was time for dinner. I decided to wait until after dinner to study for the upcoming test in health class. I have health class with my sister Cassandra, well, she's my foster sister, not my biological sister.