Getty Getty

If you want something and I mean really want something, go get it. See how fast yuh mind change; see how quick you want something else. That was my problem, I went from having nothing to getting everything I wanted. I was so discontented that I started to wonder: did I want these things or was I pressured into wanting what society said would make a person happy?

The car ride to dinner was cold. Lee's words had caused a wall to form between us. My subconscious mind was screaming, 'I am trying to fix us!' My vindictive mind was whispering 'just wait, you think that bad? Watch waah guh gwaan wen yuh gone'.

I didn't believe in getting hurt and taking it. Tek wah? No sah, those days were over. Lee hurt my feelings and he was going to pay for that.

"I don't want seafood" I didn't try to hide my detest. As far as I was concerned he started it.

"Suh Goldie, you know this was where I was headed, why you didn't say something before?"

He was right. I knew that the seafood restaurant was out of the way. It wasn't really close to anything and took us a good distance out of the city.

"Is it a problem? If so just let me out and go enjoy your seafood."

"Goldie don't be ridiculous we can go somewhere else, what has gotten into you?"

I kissed my teeth. Lee was getting attitude plus tax.

"Come on my love, tell me what you want to eat, I don't want to argue with you."

Jeez, he couldn't even have a good argument with me.

"It's ok, go to the seafood place."

"No, tell me what you feel for, it's no problem."

"Lee just go! I don't want to turn around, it's fine!"

Lee was quiet but he tapped at the steering wheel, sighing every now and again.

We got to the restaurant and parked next to some other brand named cars. My stomach was grumbling all I wanted was a big $2000 dollar snapper steamed down with some crackers but I would spite myself if it meant spiting Lee.

"Can you please fix yuh face?"

Lee was whispering as we walked into the island themed establishment. Coconut leaves created a roof at the front and bamboos made up about 70% of the furniture. It was right on the water and if you walked out to the back deck you had an ocean view. Depending on the time of the day you could see an amazing sunset. We made it just in time to see the skyline with all it's different colors: pink, purple, orange and of course the golden glow.

"I thought you liked this place, truthfully I wasn't really feeling for seafood either."

"So why did you come here? Look how much place we pass?"

"I came here because of you, you said you loved it here."

I did love it. Fish was one of those things that was only eaten on special occasions in my family, and even then, you could only get a half of one.

"Why?"  I needed answers immediately "Why did you do that? Why are you always doing the right thing Lee? Nobody's perfect so why are you pretending to be?"

"Goldie?"

I could see that he was truly shocked by what I asked.

"I am not pretending to be anything Goldie, and as for doing the right thing, why the hell would I do the wrong thing? I have been so blessed throughout my life it is my duty to be good and to be kind because life has given me so much!"