Chapter IV- Fireworks and Lilies

The bell above the shop entrance chimes as the last customer leaves, short a bit of coin but happily carrying a bundle of Father's noisemakers. The streets are alive with the sound of music, singing, and, most importantly, fireworks. The celebration will carry into the early morning hours, but then the city watch will assuredly scour the gutters for any layabouts. The jails always swell after a festival, as do the city coffers.

Leesa locks the door and pulls down the blinds. Leaning against the doorframe, she breathes a sigh of relief. She's thankful for the patronage, but tired and ready to relax. She'd drawn the short straw, meaning last shift and cleanup. One of the others will have to open. Just before lunch they'll draw straws again. It is customary for all three Talbert sisters to work through the middle of the day, but Leesa hopes she'll have the following night off. Grabbing the broom and dustpan, she gets to work.

The door to Father's office bursts open and Uncle Barnabas steps out, dropping coins into his purse. Uncle Will might be Father's closest friend, but Barnabas is his oldest.

"No matter how you stretch it, Talbert, there just isn't enough money."

"That settles it then... I'm ruined, boys."

Father Talbert looks defeated as he emerges. Balding, bags under his eyes, pale skinned with the barest hint of tan. His sad eyes are green, his shoulders slumped. He still wears his work gloves and smock, soot and dwarven black powder stain both. His entire life is devoted to his girls and his shop. All that remains of his wife.

Leesa's heart hurts seeing him like this.

Next to Barnabas Blinker, Father Talbert looks like a pauper. Barnabas wears the finest clothes money can buy and his fingers are adorned with rings. He stands tall and regal with not a single strand of hair out of place. His pot belly speaks of opulence, his mustache of luxury. The two men seem opposites, but have been close companions for longer than Leesa has been alive.

"Don't worry," Uncle Will says, closing the office door behind him. "We'll find a way to save the shop."

"It may be too late, William," Uncle Barnabas says between clenched teeth. He gestures for Uncle Will to leave it alone, but Uncle Will isn't one to leave a friend to wallow in misery.

"It's only too late once we've given up," Uncle Will says.

Father looks up, a glimmer of hope in his eyes. Leesa feels it too. Her mother used to say that all the time.

"That isn't fair. She was always dangerously optimistic," Uncle Barnabas grumbles. A great debater, he knows he can't compete with the past.

"She was right and you know it, Barny."

"I disagree..." Uncle Barnabas looks at the expression on Father's face. "No matter. Gentlemen, and I use the term loosely, the night is still young. Allow me to treat you to some meager fare and lots of drinking."

"You're the worst, Barnabas."

"And you're the best, William." Uncle Barnabas dusts imaginary dirt from his pant leg. "But look at you and look at me."

"You were always an insufferable cur."

"And you still stink of Ravensport's gutters."

"You s-"

"Stop. Both of you," Father interrupts. With a weak smile, he gestures toward the door. "I could use a drink and Barny wants to spend his beloved gold. Let's not waste our time arguing."

The three friends agree that drink is the answer to the night's woes and leave; but not before Father gives Leesa a kiss on the forehead, Uncle Will kisses her hand, and Uncle Barnabas bids Leesa a good night. Leesa prays they have a good time and quickly busies herself cleaning the shop and prepping for the morrow. Outside, the city parties. Inside; Leesa Talbert sweeps the floors, scrubs the counters, restocks the shelves, and reorganizes the display cases. By the time she's done, all she wants is a bath.