Chapter XLIII- The Hag Swamp

Leesa breaks the surface of the water, coughing and sputtering as she frantically strokes towards what she hopes is dry land. The mud in her eyes has rendered her effectively blind and she can only rely on indistinct shapes and instinct. Once she reaches the muddy bank, she crawls until her shaking arms can carry her no more. When they have enough, she doubles over and retches up the slimy contents of her lungs and stomach. Eyes and throat burning, she collapses into the mud.

For a time she sucks down searing breaths and pukes up more muck. Eventually it becomes easier to breathe. She scoops the mud from her eyes and blinks against the grit and grime. Head pounding and ears ringing, she struggles to get her bearings.

"What do we have here, Brigieza?" The voice is grating, irritating like nails on a chalkboard.

Leesa sits up, the unfamiliar voice causing the hairs on the back of her neck to stand on end. Olivia and Hans help one another out of the murky pool, covered in mud from head to toe. The blue giant stands about thirty feet from the pair, waist deep in mud and holding Captain Carlos and Juanita in each hand. Hunched in front of him is a scrawny woman, for Leesa lacks a proper term to describe her. As tall as the blue man, her filthy tatters hang to just below the knees, barely covering her thin form. Her fingers are long and grotesque, tipped by curved black needles like the talons of an eagle. Stringy black hair hangs to the ground, covering skin the color of pale lavender and covered in warts.

"Looks like the rotting bridge has finally collapsed, and The Powers have brought us dinner, Brachuka." This voice is higher pitched, but no less painful to the ears.

A second creature emerges from a patch of twisted bushes not too far from Leesa. She is shorter than the first, her stooped form balancing on a gnarled stick as tall as Hans. Fat folds hang in layers, draped by a hooded robe that might have once been a large tent. Her lavender skin is wrinkled with age and riddled with bulging green veins. Rows of jowls hang from a face so hideous it freezes Leesa in place. Her hair is like thick cobweb and her feet are big enough to crush a city girl's head with no effort.

"There's so much meat here, we won't have to fight for scraps. A shame really." A third vaults over a boulder a few feet from Hans and Olivia. She is the tallest of the three with gray hair tied up into a fuzzy ponytail of matted braids pinned together with bones. A scar runs through an eyeless socket, creasing her darker lavender skin. She wears a leather breastplate and obscene growths hang from her arms.

All three are repulsive to look at. Hags by all descriptions.

"You always want to fight, Broomag," remarks the one called Brachuka. "Look an elf! Your favorite. I call the ears!"

"Take those morsels and I will rip your teeth out, one by one, little sister," Broomag's voice drips with murderous intent.

Leesa wills her limbs to move, but fear roots her to the spot.

As the eldest, I get first pick, Broomag. Those ears should be mine," Brigieza laughs as she slowly hobbles towards Olivia, Hans, and the others.

A hateful hiss escapes Broomag's misshapen teeth.

"Don't worry, sister. My belly rumbles for man meats today. I call their scrotums. My lips are tuned for a stew."

The giant lowers Carlos and Juanita to their feet, the two drawing their mud-caked weapons. Her companions converge, the guards taking the lead and Hans dropping to the rear. He looks around frantically until his eyes land on Leesa. The expression of relief is endearing, but Leesa is too scared to truly appreciate it. He reaches down and raises a thick tree branch, his attention shifting to the three hideous women.

Leesa realizes she can move again and reaches for her dagger. Movement in the water draws her gaze and she recognizes Alice floating near the bank.

"You ladies are the ugliest creatures I've ever seen!" Olivia says, making a face like she might be sick.