Chapter LI- The Expedition Returns

Hans grips the staff across his lap tightly, his blood rushing in his ear. Strangely, he isn't afraid. He is merely vibrating with anticipation.

"They look like shit, boss," a bandit shouts. "Maybe we should just let them pass with a warning."

"They may look like hard pressed dragon dung, but those horses look of proper stock." The lead highwayman, a nearly seven foot tall giant of a man, pats the club resting on his shoulder. "They probably stole them from some nobleborn's stable. We'll just steal them back for the reward."

"You filthy curs," Captain Carlos growls, his voice gravelly after the ravages of a short-lived throat cold. "Do you not know who this is?"

"Shut-up, old man. You're wasting your breath."

The Captain looks to Lord Methuen, who barely acknowledges them. His mind is elsewhere, Hans can see it, he can almost feel it. When The Captain turns to him, the apprentice nods and dismounts. He doesn't have the words or desire to negotiate. Tired of being on the road and tired of being in danger, Hans raises his staff in a combat stance.

"Oh, boy wants to tussle. Guess we're gonna have to bust his head, boys."

The leader looks back at his companions as he laughs. The sound dies on his lips as the rest of the expedition's horses turn the bend. Hans glances back, confirming that it is Leesa and Olivia on the wagon pulling his big blue friend, T'sai. The giant sits in the back of the wagon, resting his legs after their long march from Sour Downs back to the lands of man. The short reprieve in Fleeth Village was only long enough to get them all some much needed medical assistance.

"Boss, look at the size of that blue bastard," one of the bandits says as he backs towards the underbrush from whence he came.

"I... I... what the hell is that thing?"

Captain Carlos and Juanita dismount and draw their weapons, expressions grim. One of the bandits throws his daggers to the road and runs. The remaining five set their jaws and ready their weapons. Leesa calls the draft horses to a halt.

"Hans?" Her voice carries over the pensive silence.

"No need to worry. You and Olivia can stay with the wagon."

The wagon creaks as T'sai steps down. Hans watches the eyes of the bandits grow wide at the sight of his true height. With a curse, a stringy woman slings her bow and runs away, never giving her companions a second glance.

"You're gonna wish you just gave us the hors-" The leader gasps as Luis puts an arrow in his chest. He stumbles back a few steps then snaps the shaft. "I've had worse," he grunts.

A second arrow hits him in the stomach and the two groups charge into battle. It is all over so quickly, Hans can barely remember his part in it. The cut on his shoulder and the blood on his staff tells a story his mind doesn't recall. On the road lay three dead bandits, a fourth pleads for his life. Juanita confiscates his weapons as well as those of his dead companions. Captain Carlos binds his hands.

"As agents of the Lord of Nevergreen, we place you under arrest. You will stand trial at Lord Methuen's convenience. Any attempt to resist will result in your summary execution."

"You people fight like monsters."

"No, we fight like our lives depend on it."

The man doesn't resist.

A collection of tents sit just outside the walls of Castle Black Roost and soldiers of one of the southern duchies drill in military maneuvers. Hans doesn't recognize the heraldry, but Captain Carlos does.

"Those men serve Sir Corngrove, my lord."

Methuen scowls, his first real sign of emotion since they escaped the Hag Swamp. The group rides through the outer gates and into the courtyard where more tents and more soldiers await. Hans realizes Sir Conrgrove's men sorely outnumber the castle guards. Being already inside the castle walls negates the advantage of the fortifications. In essence, Black Roost is already sacked.