Chapter XVIII- Apprentice

Time is a relative thing. Its progress, though constant, is neither steady nor predictable. A young man can lay in the grass of his family pasture among grazing sheep for hours that feels like an eternity, or he can read a passage from a book about the constellations and feel lost in its words and revelations for what seems like hours. Six months under Count Methuen's tutelage feel like years of endless lessons, yet they pass in the blink of an eye or the turning of a page.

A hundred yards away from the front gates of Castle Black Roost, Hans Heathson sits on a stone bench atop the summit of Castle Rock. He pours over a book on rare minerals and chemical reactions. Months ago he had never heard of sodium or potassium, but he now knows that if the two were added to water there would be a violent pyrotechnique reaction. The same knowledge fuels the technological revolution seeping through Gramshandle and the major cities of Quinlain. Science and alchemy.

Hans closes the book and lets his eyes rest. Nola Brown had taught him to read during his short stint as her apprentice, but her meager books were religious text, recipes, and diagrams. Lord Methuen's library brims with text books, instruction manuals, histories, mysteries, theories, books on magic, books on the stars, books on things Hans hadn't even realized existed. He finally understands why Leesa loves her books so much. They are gateways to hidden places and secrets buried in plain sight.

He longs to share with her or merely see her, but his strict study regimen leaves him with only short stints of personal time. Between magical application with The Count, martial instruction from Captain Carlos and Lieutenant Juanita, Elven magic theory with Olivia, and his reading list, Hans is overwhelmed.

Looking south, he sees pillars of smoke rising into the air. Solomon's chimneys, still pushing back the morning chill. If he walks closer to the edge he could look down upon the town's rooftops. Hans learned early in his time atop Castle Rock that the footing can be treacherous at the most unexpected times. His new boots, courtesy of his master, stand in ankle-high grass, but beneath the soil the stone moved and shifted in peculiar ways.

His ability to see those movements is one of the reasons he was chosen.

"It's morning!" a child who isn't a child sings as she runs across the open grass, arms outstretched like a gliding bird.

Behind her walks Count Methuen. He is wearing a high-collared black shirt with a silver trimmed vest today, an indicator of his middling mood. Hans has spent his time in Castle Black Roost studying The Count himself as much as any of his other subjects. The man is one of sullen humors, much as the gossips said, but there is more than that. Count Methuen spends his waking hours alone, only talking to the castle staff when duty or obligation requires. When he's not with Hans or Olivia, he sits alone in his tower.

Hans suspects the man is profoundly lonely.

"Good morning, Apprentice," The Count says as he stops beside the stone bench. A gust of wind catches his raven black hair and whips it about his face as it sweeps the summit.

"Good morning, Master." Hans bows at the waist as he'd been taught during his etiquette lessons with Tavia Dayne.

"Good morning, Skinny!" Olivia shouts as she steps onto the bench and leaps into the air.

For the briefest of moments Hans believes she'll take flight, but instead she lands on pointed toes in the swaying grass.

"Good morning," Hans watches the half-elf from the corner of his eye. Six month under the same roof has done little to quell his distrust of her.

She slowly twirls, letting the wind play through her simple yellow and brown dress. Her aspect is childlike and playful, but no less disturbing. The look on her face is one of wonder and joy.