Chapter XXX- A Call to Adventure

With Count Methuen missing from Castle Rock, Hans ended up with a lot of free time on his hands. The young couple saw this as a perfect opportunity to spend time together. Leesa begged a week off from the family fireworks shop, raising quite a few eyebrows. Despite assurances that the castle staff would never allow them much time alone, It took her three days of hard fighting and quite a few promises made before The Gods of the Five Pillars. However, Father eventually allowed it. He made a promise of his own. If anything unsavory took place up at Castle Black Roost, he would hunt down Hans himself.

Determined to complete his apprenticeship, Hans returned to Castle Black Roost. Unfortunately, his second departure from home was marred by Heather's mysterious disappearance. In the dead of night she'd fled, leaving behind a hastily written note full of cryptic nonsense. Heath and Moa made him go, unwilling to listen to his pleas to be allowed to help in the search.

Leesa is waiting outside of the shop as Hans and Gianna trot up the road. The horse whinnies at the sight of her and Leesa waves in greeting. Hans dismounts and Leesa rushes into his arms, giving him a big hug. He winces and she hastily releases him, remembering the mysterious injuries that befell both him and Klein a few days ago. Leesa recalls the bloodstains and pained expression when he stumbled into the house. He'd been in no condition to help her home and she'd ended up sleeping in Erica's bed. Father had been pissed when she returned home the next day.

The door to the shop bursts open and Leesa looks back. As Father marches up, all fury and sternness. Mary watches from the lounge window, her jealousy palpable even from there.

"Young man," Father says.

"Mr. Talbert," Hans replies back. He glances at Leesa, she winces.

"I am trusting you with the wellbeing of my youngest daughter. I am not a superstitious man, so I won't be taken in by the stories spoken about Castle Black Roost or our Count, but I am also no fool. I know what young men want."

"Father!"

"I do. If you are as good a man as I believe you are, you will respect her virtue and my wishes." Father extends his hand. "I'm trusting you."

Hans takes his hand.

"I promise to be a gentleman and guard her with my life."

With a nod, Father goes back into the shop.

"That was odd..." Hans says. "Come on then," he says loudly. "The transaction is complete, you're mine now." With his nose in the air, he takes Leesa's bag and carries it over to Gianna.

"What? Hans!"

He winks and smiles, and her heart flutters. A frightful scream comes from within the shop and, for a moment, Leesa fears something terrible has happened. Then she hears Father trying to calm Maribelle down. Shaking her head, Leesa takes Hans's offered hand. Before he can lift her into the saddle, she places her free hand on his chest.

"You should let me drive."

He studies her face, "You're serious aren't you?"

"Yes. Fix your face. I told you I know how to ride." Leesa laughs at his exaggerated expression. "Just say yes and stop making faces."

"Oh, Gods of the First Pillar, please protect m-"

"Stop! That's not funny."

"Then why are you laughing?"

She elbows him and climbs up into the saddle on her own. She grabs the reins, ready to leave without him.

"Okay, wait." Hans shakes his head and sits behind her, "Are you sure you-"