chapter v

It was the first day of senior year, and Alina nervously straightened the hem of her shirt as she walked into the hallway. The building was oddly empty, with only a few people walking and chatting around the corridor.

After a few minutes of aimlessly walking around, she spotted Jace and Lucifer talking in front of some lockers and she eagerly fastened her pace. As she came closer, she noticed a girl, with a similar appearance to Jace, in between them.

Alina recognized the girl; Elaine, she was also a popular figure at this school, for God knows what. Elaine seemed to have noticed Alina, as she discreetly tapped Lucifer's arm, whispering something into his ear. Lucifer's eyes lit up and he immediately turned to pull Alina into his arms.

She blushed into his neck, returning the hug gradually.

"Hey, you're Alina?" Elaine said, and Alina let go of him. She nodded meekly, taking a look at Elaine. Wow, she's beautiful. She had much shorter hair than Alina, jet-black hair which rested nicely at her shoulders. Her body was athletic and she held a strong gaze with her grey eyes. Elaine shot a quick smile at her, "I'm Elaine, duh," she said, pitching up her voice slightly, "I can't wait to be your friend!" she beamed.

Alina smiled back awkwardly, feeling Lucifer's fingers gently caress her back, soothing her down. It was unbefitting of Alina, to meet or be around other people who weren't Lucifer. It was something she hated about herself, how her shyness and reticence always stopped her from escaping her comfort zone.

Lucifer began telling Elaine things about Alina as she hid behind him, playing with his fingers to distract her from the anxious feeling in her heart. Suddenly, the bells rang, and Alina gently tugged Lucifer's fingers, signalling she wanted to go.

The boys said their byes and the two best friends walked off, Alina giggling at something Lucifer had told her. Elaine watched as they left, a hidden fury in her eyes, "Great, a quiet, clingy bitch," she scoffed, facing her twin.

"Who, you?" Jace asked, putting away his phone.

"No, dumbass. That Allie girl," she rolled her eyes, nudging her head towards Alina and Lucifer who were already at the other end of the hall. Jace laughed then punched her on the shoulder, "Wait, Alina? What'd she do?" he asked, daring his sister to continue.

"Look at her," she laughed, "She's such a whore, it's gross," she made a disgusted face then laughed.

Jace stared at her blankly.

Then burst out laughing.

Elaine smiled, proud of her brother agreeing with her and opened her mouth to speak when Jace interrupted her, "You? I know damn right you, out of all people, did not just call someone else a whore," he managed to say between his laughs.

She glared at her brother, clenching her fists, causing Jace to put his hands up and step back. "Damn, you actually look like you have some dignity left," he joked.

When Elaine failed to slap Jace, she grabbed her bag from the floor and stormed off, hearing her brother's words, "Your class is the other way!" slowly becoming quieter.

╚════ ❀•°❀°•❀ ════╝╚════ ❀•°❀°•❀ ════╝╚════ ❀•°❀°•❀ ════╝

Alina and Lucifer both had a double period of Art, a subject they both loved and bonded over. The teacher went over their coursework for the year, explaining all the different artists and projects they would create.

After a few minutes, the teacher had instructed everyone to begin experimenting with the different tools before sluggishly plopping back into her chair, not caring about what the students were doing.

Alina arrived back to her seat, slipping into it with her arm tightly securing a small canvas and a few warm colored paints. Lucifer leaned back into his seat, spinning a black felt tip pen between his fingers.

She took the daylily out of her hair, placing it in front of her to sketch out its shape.

"You always draw flowers, Lina," Lucifer suddenly said, his eyes glued onto her canvas. Alina shrugged, pouting her lips, "Well, um, they're the only pretty things I know," she responded, struggling to twist open the paint tube's cap. Lucifer took the tube off her and opened it, "You know who's pretty?" he asked, a smile gracing his face.

Alina blushed, "W-who?"

Lucifer leaned towards Alina and grabbed her chin, gently lifting her head. He looked in her doe eyes adoringly. Alina's face heated up more, not sure whether she should look back into his eyes or to the side.

"Me."

Alina pushed Lucifer backward and he laughed deeply, a cheeky smile on his lips. She then shifted her body so that the only thing Lucifer could see was her back.

"Aw, don't do this to me, Lina," Lucifer frowned, "Don't you think I'm pretty?" he cooed teasingly. Alina didn't respond and continued painting in the flower.

"Don't you think daddy is pretty?"

Alina gasped and swiftly turned to face him, raising her index finger at him, "D-don't say that out loud, okay?!" she scolded so that only he could hear. Lucifer smiled at her, mumbling a small "Sure, sure," before grabbing back the felt tip pen.

Alina quietly hummed to herself, looking back and forth between the flower and paintings, not sure where to start with the ombre-like coloring. As she pondered in thought, Lucifer popped open the pen's lid and faced Alina.

"H-hey!" Alina squealed as she felt Lucifer pulling her right leg on his lap, "I-I'm- I need-"

She stopped talking when he began writing on her thigh. When he was done, he looked up at her then gently pushed her thigh off, standing up and wandering off to where the oil pastels were. She looked at her thigh, making out the letters, LH.

Lucifer Huxley.

He wrote his initials on me.