Chapter Thirty-Seven

Blossom sat on the edge of the bed, her face in her hands. She was a mess, a sobbing mess. They were supposed to leave on Saturday, and she was in the middle of packing when she was overcome with emotion. Steve was off at S.H.I.E.L.D, getting his orders, and and she couldn't stop crying. Normally, she would be fine with leaving, but not this time. Not after she was just reunited with her sister. She just got her friends back, too. It was the most painful goodbye she would ever have to be a part of. She didn't hear the door open or shut, she didn't hear the 'Babydoll, I'm back', and he didn't hear Steve come into the room. She only felt the bed dip behind her as he sat on their bed.

"Babydoll, what's got you so upset?" he asked softly, shifting to sit directly behind her. He wrapped his arms around her waist and set his chin on her shoulder, feeling her shake with sobs.

"It sounds so childish, but I don't want to go." she whispered, tears streaming down her face. Steve lifted his head and nodded, setting his hands on her sides. Gently, he started to press his fingers into her skin, rubbing small circles into the area. He felt her body start to relax, and she started to calm down. He kissed her cheek, and she sighed, leaning back into him.

"I know this is difficult. Trust me, I've done it before. But there's nothing we can do. We've got two more days, and your friends and Maria will meet us right up here before we go." he whispered, still rubbing. Blossom nodded, and he pulled her into his lap. Suddenly, he snapped his fingers and set her back onto the bed.

"I've got an idea. I'll be right back." he said, kissing her hair and leaving the room. She sighed and wiped her eyes, feeling foolish. Suddenly, she heard water running, and she tilted her head. It went on for a few minutes, and when it stopped, Steve came back in.

"Come on, you need to relax." he smiled, and she got up, curious. He brought her to the bathroom, where there was a bubble bath in the tub.

"What the-?" Blossom smiled, turning to face him.

"Come on," he said again. "we havent' done this yet." Blossom glanced at the tub, and then at him.

"I'm not so sure about this." she giggled, and he set his hands on her shoulders.

"Please? For me?" he asked, pouting his bottom lip. Blossom groaned softly and pushed his face to the side gently.

"Fine, but out while I strip." she giggled, and he pouted again.

"Why? You're beautiful when you're-"

"Out! And don't even finish that sentence."

Blossom playfully pushed him out of the bathroom and shut the door. Even though she was alone, she shyly removed her clothing and got into the warm water. Steve knocked on the door, and Blossom called for him to come in. He came in, smiling at his wife, and she giggled softly, swirling her finger in the bubbles. He chuckled and knelt beside the tub, and she looked at him.

"What, not joining me?" she asked, leaning over for a quick kiss.

"Nope, not this time. Just trust me, okay?" he smiled after kissing her back.

"I'll always trust you. I married you for Christ's sake." she smiled, and he kissed her cheek. 

"Then just close your eyes and relax." he whispered in her ear, sending shivers down her spine despite the warm water. She slowly closed her eyes and felt her husband's hands on her shoulders, rubbing them gently. She smiled a bit and sighed in content, and he began to kiss her neck. 

"I love you, you know that?" he whispered in her ear, and she giggled at the feeling of his breath on her ear.

"I do. And you know what Stevie?"

"What's that Babydoll?"

"I love you too."

She turned in the tub and kissed him, cupping his face with soapy hands, He chuckled at the feeling and kissed her back, gently holding her arms. She moved her hands back to the water to get the bubbles off, and she ran her wet fingers through his hair. They pulled away, and she cleaned the bubbles from his face, giggling softly. 

"Feeling better?" he asked, running his hand through her hair.

"A little bit.But you spoil me way too much Rogers." she said softly, and he chuckled. 

"Well, anything for my Babydoll. I'm gonna go grab you a towel." he kissed her forehead and stood, and she smiled up at him. He left the bathroom, and she rolled her shoulders slowly. Steve came back with a towel, and he shut his eyes and Blossom stood from the bath, stepped out, and took the towel. She wrapped it around her body and let the water run down the drain, bubbles and all. 

"You can open your eyes now." Blossom tapped his chest, and he opened his eyes slowly. Blossom looked down and tucked the towel into itself, and Steve tilted her head up slightly.

"I know you don't want to hear this, but we need to discuss arrangements for Saturday." he whispered.

"We're taking the kitten." Blossom said immediately.

"Of course. But there are other things." Steve smiled a bit, and she nodded with a sigh. 

"Alright, let me go change, and then we'll talk, okay?"

***

Blossom and Steve sat on the couch, going over their orders.

"Woah, wait. I'm not going in anymore, but you are? What the fuck is this?!" Blossom mumbled, and Steve held her close.

"I'm sure it's only temporary." he whispered.

"Sorry, but you're wrong. I'm out." she said softly, crumpling up the paper and throwing it in anger. 

"Babydoll, I'm sorry..."

"Don't you start that. I've worked my ass off to get where I am today, and now I'm off the clock? You're a superhero, I get it. You're needed, but what about us, the agents? I've always had a problem with the way S.H.I.E.L.D was run, but this is too far!" she stood from the couch, her voice rising slowly.

"Blossom, you need to calm down..." Steve stood slowly, reaching for her hands.

"No! Don't tell me to calm down! Steve, I just lost my job! I know this doesn't really affect you, but it sure as fuck affects me!" she yelled.

"You think I don't care? You're my wife! I'll go talk to Fury about it tomorrow. You don't need to get so worked up over this!" Steve tried to keep his voice calm.

"Don't bother! Then I'll be seen as the girl who's husband had to go and get her job back for her! That's not exactly how I'm known around there!"

"What's more important then, huh? Your job, or your image?!" Steve yelled back, unable to keep calm.

"Well, obviously it's not my job, since I don't have one anymore!" she yelled at him, and they both paused for a second. Instantly, they clung to each other and kissed fiercely. He picked her up, still kissing her, and carried her to the bedroom, and he shut the door with his foot so hard, it slammed against the wood.

XxxA/NxxX

Welp, one more chapter, and then this book is D-O-N-E! :( I can't believe it's almost over, but thanks to all who've been reading! It means a lot, and I love you guys <3