Chapter Twenty-One

"Cute place." 

Steve opened the door to his apartment, letting Blossom in first. He entered behind her, shutting the door behind him.

"Thanks. Glad you like it." 

Blossom smiled and kissed his cheek, and he wrapped his arms around her waist. She wrapped her arms around his neck and snuggled into his arms. Steve kissed the top of her head gently and hugged her tightly. He felt her body relax against his, and he rubbed her back slowly. 

"Thank God you came when you did. He's fucking insane." She mumbled, her head against his chest. Steve nodded and tilted her head up slightly. She looked him in the eye, and he tried to give her a reassuring smile. Blossom sighed softly, and Steve took her bag from her. 

"I'll be right back. Go sit down at the table." He said softly, and she nodded. He carried her bag to his bedroom, and then he walked to the kitchen. Blossom was seated at the small table, drawing intricate patterns on the tabletop with her finger. Her head on resting on her other hand, and she was humming softly. He walked over and sat across from her, and he smiled.

"Do you like to draw?" He asked her and she looked up at him.

"A little. I'm not that good, though." She said, and he smiled.

"I'll be right back, okay?" Steve stood and walked back towards his bedroom. Blossom sighed and resumed her tracing on the table, her mind wandering off to the art lessons her grandpa gave her.

'Long strong strokes, Blossom. But not too much force. The harder you press the brush, the sloppier the paint.' He told her, guiding her hand along the canvas that he had stationed in the woods. He was getting her into painting nature, one of the most beautiful things in  the world. She had gotten very good at it, but her grandfather, her very inspiration, had died soon after her second to final lesson. The first painting she had ever made with him was buried with him, at her request. When Steve came back, he set a book on the table, and Blossom jumped.

"Sorry about that. But, I wanted to show you this." Steve said softly, and he opened the book. Inside were dozens of sketches, all in pencil, few with added color. He slid the book to her, and she flipped through the pages. 

"They're so beautiful." She murmured. Steve smiled, and she kept going through his artwork.

"Thank you. I haven't had much time for drawing these days, though." He said, resting his hand on top of Blossom's free hand. She smiled at the beauty of the sketches.

"Pop-Pop would've loved these. He taught me everything I know." She said softly, and Steve squeezed her hand gently.

"Your grandparents were a big part of your life, weren't they?" He asked, and Blossom nodded. 

"Huge part. I lived with them my whole childhood. Then, when I turned sixteen, I joined S.H.I.E.L.D Academy, along with Maria, and it was a few years until I saw my Gran again. My grandfather died when I was ten, and I felt so awful for leaving Gran all alone for so long." Blossom sighed, wishing for those years back. Steve ran his thumb over her knuckles, and she smiled softly.

"Can you show me a drawing of yours?" He asked, taking the book back and flipping to a clean page.

"I don't know. My stuff isn't nearly as good as yours. It doesn't even come close." She said, an easy smile appearing.

"Oh come on. Don't say that. I'm sure your art is amazing. I really want to see it." Steve grabbed a pencil from the counter and handed it to Blossom. She took it reluctantly, and he passed her the book again.

"Are you sure you want it in your book?" She asked timidly, and he nodded, smiling. She sighed and started to draw. Steve got up and walked out of the room, giving her peace and quiet. He figured that she didn't need him there, watching her, making her lose concentration. He sat down on his bed, and he began to wonder about how James made it into his girlfriend's apartment. It started to worry him, but before he could dig deeper, Blossom called him back. He walked back to the kitchen, and when he saw what she had drawn, he was amazed. 

"You drew that without a reference picture?" He asked, and she nodded shyly. Blossom had drawn a perfect version of Steve's shield, all from memory. 

"Is is that bad?" She asked, setting the pencil down and sliding the book away from her. Steve pushed it back to her, and she arched an eyebrow.

"Sign your name under it." He smiled, and she picked her pencil back up. She scribbled her name down, and then Steve took the book back.

"Happy now Stevie Boy?" Blossom asked, standing and walking over to him. He set the book back down the table and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her closer. She cupped his face and smiled. He smiled back down at her and leaned down to kiss her gently. She moved her arms to wrap around his neck, and he picked her up. Blossom broke the kiss and looked at him, and he grinned.

"Did I startle you?" He asked, and she rolled her eyes playfully.

"No genius. I was just kissing my amazing boyfriend, and he decided to pick me up. I'm perfectly fine. Yes siree, my heart isn't pounding quickly." She teased him, and he chuckled. He carried her back to his bedroom,and sat on his bed, with her in his lap. She snuggled into his arms, and he rubbed her back. 

"I could just stay like this forever." He whispered, and she smiled.

"Don't get all mushy on me Stevie Boy." Blossom teased him, and he lay down, holding her close.

"No promises Blossom. None at all." He chuckled.

***

"How do you not love the view you have here?" Blossom asked Steve, lacing their fingers together and gazing out the window. She watched the stars twinkle, and Steve pulled the covers up a bit higher.

"I do, but this is first time in a while I've been able to appreciate it." He said, squeezing Blossom's hand. She snuggled under the covers, and let go of Steve's hand. She shifted so her head and right hand lay on Steve's chest. He wrapped his arm around her amd held her close, and she sighed happily.

"Lovely view or not, you need sleep. Work tomorrow." Steve mumbled, and Blossom shut her eyes.

"Yeah yeah yeah. I know, I know. Goodnight Captain."

"Goodnight Co-Commander Blossom. Love you."

"Love you too, my big dork."