A troubled Chief

Daunthill police department HQ

Office of the Chief of Police

23rd December 2020

Henry Doyle leaned over to the computer monitor as he scanned carefully through his glass lenses. Just one clue would be enough. How could someone be so careful? A drop of seat exiled itself from his forehead and soaked a sphere on the A4 paper which lay on his table. He checked the remote to the air conditioner. His forehead was leaking at 15 degrees Celsius. He'd been constantly looking for a clue behind who his invaders were but there was nothing. The lady from that night knew more than she was telling. Now the CCTV footage for his house had somehow been deleted. Forensics proved useless because the invaders left no samples. He pulled his ray bans and placed them on the table. What a time he had picked to be the chief of police. A call came in on his phone from an unknown number.

"Chief Doyle DPD how may I be of service," He said.

"Iva? Yeah okay, I'll... I'll check it out." He hung up.

"As if things couldn't get any worse" Doyle sighed. He placed his head on his hand and stared up at the ceiling. Someone knocked twice on the door to the office. Doyle looked up to usher the person in but Priss stormed in before Doyle could even utter a word. Priss held a phone in his hand. It didn't look like the one Doyle was used to. Priss walked to the desk and folded his arms as he stared down at Doyle. "What's the point of knocking if you won't wait for my reply?" Doyle asked

"I am tired chief," said Priss

"What's the problem this time Jeffery?"

"It's sitting right in front of me" Priss responded

"Ouch, you just hurt me"

"Where's your foreign detective, where's Baxton?" Priss asked "You still have no answers to these questions"

"Come on, We met Kenneth yesterday"

"Kenneth this, Kenneth that" Priss barked "I still don't s see what role you have to play in all of this."

"Watch it, Jeffrey, you're not tasked with half as much responsibility as I am right now?"

"Really? Because if I recall you're not the one who got scolded by the grand chief's sister for doing his job and I've been out there pushing through protesters and trying to find this damn killer while you chillax here on your spinning chair."

"And still you didn't stop the protests and our killer is still running free I don't see what progress you've made either. You just want my chair."

"You..." Priss was cut off as his phone vibrated. He scanned through the text he'd just received. "You're not worthy of this office Henry and It's about time." Priss stormed out of the office.

"Barking dog" Doyle sighed as Priss left. He was about to lay his head on the table when a call came in on the office phone. "DPD what's your emergency?" he picked up. A calm female voice came in through the phone. He hadn't gotten any calls that came with such a soft tone in a while. It gave him some sort of relief but then he was curious.

"I'm in big trouble chief," she said

"Who is this?"

"Just your friendly invader, I've been watching you" she answered

Doyle looked up at his office window the blinds were still sealed.

"Not like that," The female said "I put a key logger on the computer in your study. Your password gave me access to a lot of data and I also deleted the CCTV footage of my visit. So you can stop searching dear. Bye"

"Who the hell are you!!" Doyle yelled at the phone.

"Now calm down chief, you know better than to still be asking that question" the female voice responded, "Don't lose it just yet, we still need you."

The female hung up and Doyle was left listening to the dial tone. The conversation made him a tad bit wiser. The lady used the pronoun "we". There was only one person with the skillset and wits to pull this off. He'd been looking at this the wrong way and asking the wrong questions. He slammed the handset on the telephone. In just a couple of days, he'd not only helped this lady no good bring her alias into Daunthill, but he'd also given her access to classified data.

"God help us all."