Candid Revelations

Kenneth finally contacted Doyle and took advantage of his reservation at the Daunthill suite. The night of luxury helped him settle his mind. He dressed in his flashy corporate wear and scanned his reflection in the mirror before slipping his shades on. A person had to look good for meeting with the grand chief right?

The detective pulled out his phone and dialled the hospital. He was placed in a queue for a few minutes before the receptionist answered "Hospital, how may I help you"

Regardless of the polite coating, Kenneth could easily notice the tone of fatigue in her voice.

"I'd like to speak with Doctor... please"

"Sure, please hold for a few while I connect you to her."

The doctor's voice came in a few seconds later even worse than the receptionists. "Doctor... speaking how may I help you?"

"Hi doc, it's Kenneth Nymond" he replied, "wanted to check in and find out how she was doing."

"She's fully cautious now but super confused and uncomfortable a familiar face might help."

"Sure thing, thanks doc."

Kenneth sighed as he disconnected the phone. He turned the tv screen which he'd muted before making the call. He read the headline and quickly grabbed the remote to turn the volume up.

"After her formidable speech, Felicia Dilli is once again trending with the news of her new position as the acting grand chief of Daunthill."

"Woman's making big moves huh"

The tv showed clips of Felicia in a board meeting with the royal council. For someone who'd been giving such a difficult role at a time like this, she seemed to be doing quite well. If only the masses knew the story behind the scenes

The newscaster continued "She's making history as the first woman to ever assume this position. It seems the times, really are changing. Although Felicia isn't ready to arouse us with another big speech she did leave a message saying she would do all in her power to ensure that Daunthill is restored to its glory. All she asks is that we co-operate and pray for her brother's speedy recovery."

"Meanwhile, gun violence seems to be the new issue..."

Kenneth turned off the tv grabbed his keys and walked out of the room. He s

***

The detective walked quietly into the sickroom. Nina stared up at the ceiling, he'd never seen her wear such a vacuous expression on her face. He held the bouquet of flowers close to his chest as he strode to her bedside. She turned her eyes and looked at him.

"Kenny, is it really you?" she asked

"In the flesh" Kenneth leaned and pecked her on the cheek.

Nina smiled "Coming in here with a bouquet is quite a corny move for a man like you."

"Stop it" Kenneth chortled "My stupid line of work got you into this. I thought I'd try to make things a bit normal."

"Normal doesn't exist for us Kenny" Nina sat up lazily "I just got flown across the world in a shipping container to meet my boyfriend in Daunthill."

"Must've been quite a rough trip."

"Surprisingly, it was a lot more comfortable than you would think."

Kenneth smiled and stretched the flowers out for her to sniff. "Eww" Nina turned her head away and covered her nose. "What kind of flowers are those?"