Acquaintance

Fellwalk, Daunthill
2 Years ago
November 2018.

Everyone sat mute. Only the sound of clashing steel and ceramic lingered in the air. The smell of greens would appease any vegetarian. But Dimitri stared apathetically at the plate of food before him. He animated its content with his fork. In it was steaming baked beans and rice exorbitantly garnished with varieties of vegetables.

Bored, he took a look around. The whole family sat at their own end of the rectangular wooden table. Dimitri sighted Cole who sat opposite him. The young lad had accepted his fate. Hence he devised a means to get passed the meal. He used a spoon to scoop and swallow large quantities of his food. After every gulp his face squeezed into an aberration. This slightly amused Dimitri.

He turned his gaze to his mother, Nora, who sat at the extreme left of the table. She picked slowly at her food being very selective of what part she ate. Green Hut was long known for high quality food, but Nora wasn't so sure of this meal. And then there was Kayland at the other end. Dimitri's father sniffed and rubbed his moustache continuously as he ate. He noticed Dimitri staring and asked.

"You okay?"

"Great," replied Dimitri as he turned back to his plate.

"You haven't eaten anything."

"Yeah."

"Well," added Kayland. "Eat something."

Dimitri kept mute and resumed his food animation until his mom cut in.

"Dimitri, baby eat your food," she implored.

"Why?" he asked. "It's disgusting."

"No," Kayland corrected. "It's healthy."

"Seems like you're the only one enjoying it." Dimitri muttered. "How 'bout you dig into my share."

Dimitri slid his plate towards his father's end of the table. Kayland let go of his fork and crossed his palms as he stared raptly at Dimitri.

"Kid, take your plate back right now and eat your food," he commanded.

Dimitri gazed into his father's furious eyes without making a move.

"Dr. Rendeley said..." announced Kayland before he was cut short.

"I don't give a shit about Rendeley and his worthless advice!" barked Dimitri as he stood from chair.

"Dimitri!" yelled Nora before Kayland held out his hand, gesturing her to stop.

"I ain't gonna eat shit cause some doctor said so," Dimtri blustered. "We had a real doctor back in Atlanta. And if I recall mom took less pills and Cole barely puffed his inhaler. But you had to move us here."

"Shut your mouth boy!" snapped Kayland arising from his seat. "We were falling apart back in Georgia. And then we got here. We got a better house, better friends and I'm paid better."

"So it's about the money?"

"That money feeds you," hissed Kayland. "Now sit yo black ass down, and eat your food."

"Or what?"

In split seconds, Dimitri suddenly felt small as his left cheek absorbed the impact from his father's fingers. His confidence vanished.

His fury was rapidly replaced by shock. As his head jolted to the right, his body was thrown slightly off-balance.

Dimitri placed a hand on his throbbing cheek as he came to fathom what had just transpired. Nora and Cole gaped at the father and son in suspense.