Outlandish Visit

Present-day

7:30 am

Daunthill Rehabilitation Centre

22nd December 2020

The sun had just transited into its harsh state. Its ardent rays descended, tormenting anyone who dared come out in the open or stare at a lambent surface. Lizards found their comfort zone as they basked beneath the radiant yellow. Felicia steered towards her reserved spot at the rehab center's parking lot. A woman in white scrubs stood next to the parking stripe. She held a large umbrella overhead and a few documents in her other hand. The lady beamed at the black Mercedes as it came to halt. Felicia stared at the woman through the side window before winding down to speak.

"Gooday Nurse Rose," she greeted.

"Miss Dilli," Rose bowed slightly.

"Give me a second please I need to listen to this" Felicia pointed at the car stereo.

"Yes Ma'am" replied Rose

Felicia flicked the window switch as she cranked up the volume. Her FM was always stagnant on Daunthill radio. She'd only touch the dial if she had a passenger in the vehicle. Felicia was eager to hear the news this morning. The radio spat a variety of adverts before her show came on.

"It's the eight am rush bringing you teasers of the latest and hottest news in Daunthill. Only on 86.1, Daunthill radio, stay tuned."

Felicia sighed restlessly, she adjusted herself on the car seat and placed her hands on the steering wheel. She scanned through her fingernails, although they were over two weeks old they'd maintained their soft glow. She only used transparent nail polish. They looked natural and she never had to bother with colour change. As she stared, the radio came back to life. Melinda sounded slightly disturbed today, but only those who binge to Daunthill radio would notice.

"Good morning Daunthill, I'm Melinda and this is, the eight am rush," she said "Dimitri Baxton, the only surviving witness to one of the recent murder cases has been declared missing by the DPD. Some believe his escape was deliberate."

"Hmm" heaved Felicia.

"Meanwhile, Grand Chief Brolin's authority has once again been skewered by the Lady No Good and her disciples. The online rebels have used social media platforms to spread the word of the unfortunate happenings in Daunthill thereby breaking the strict rules put in place by the Grand Chief to prevent the news spread. It brings the masses to wonder why the grand chief would infringe on their fundamental right to free speech by making a rule that prevents them from speaking up."

"Fundamental rights" Felicia smirked

Felicia turned off the stereo and turned to Rose whose lips protracted to reach the ends of her cheeks. Her red lipstick formed a fine contrast between her lips and pale white skin. Unlike other days when her smile would seem somewhat obliged, Rose's smile was original today. "There must be good news," thought Felicia as she pushed the button to kill the ignition. 

Felicia slipped on her heels and grabbed the car's remote. Her eyes combed the car for the final and most important accessory but there was no sign of it. Her face formed a frown making the wrinkles detectible. How could she have forgotten it? Suddenly her eyes widened, and the frown was conquered by its opposite. She reached for the glove compartment and pulled the latch slightly. It dropped down to reveal the pearl purse, made to match the ivory pearls around her neck. Felicia unbuckled her seatbelt and opened the door.