fifteen

"And the two of you policed the Mutts

"And the two of you policed the Mutts. She at least brought some humanity. But you on your own? Brutal. Vindictive, even. An individual Mutt stands no chance against you." Liliana leaned her head back into the couch.

"They had no choice but to band together. And they're creating a psycho army to help in the process." "I didn't do anything to Marsten." Jeremy held up a finger for Clay to quiet down. Nick looked over to see Liliana with her eyes closed.

Nick patted her arm and she lifted her head to pay attention. "If this is about Clay, why did they kill Pete?" Lilliana started to fiddle with the ring on her finger. "To knock you off your game. To send Clay out on a blind rage."

Nick moved a hand to Liliana's arm as she smiled at him. "Look, the King moves one square at a time. Thoughtful, methodical. And the Queen... Well, she can do whatever she wants. But the rook? Stuck in a rut. Zigzag. Zigzag."

"We all know that you act irrationally. You're impulsive. You make mistakes. Isn't that right, Elena?" "That's enough." Liliana stood from the couch with her arms crossed at her chest. "If I stay here any longer I may kill him. If you need me I'm in my room."

Jeremy gave her a nod and she was on her way up the steps. She laid herself on the bed and closed her eyes as she kicked off her shoes. She took off Pete's ring and put it on the pillow.

She sat up as she heard the front door open and close. She let out a breath of relief that he was gone.  "Look what's happening Pete." She said as she took off the jacket.

She stood and hung it on the back of her door. "Don't worry. I will be fine and I will help out if I'm needed. But, only for you." She took the ring off her pillow and into the drawer.

"Liliana." She opened her bedroom door after hearing her name. "Elena? What's wrong?" She questioned seeing her sister holding a bag.

"Are you coming with me?" Liliana shook her head as she leaned on the door. "I'm going to stay until the Mutt is found. I owe it to Pete after everything he has done for me."

Elena gave her a knowing nod as she opened her arms. Liliana smiled as she hugged her sister as tight as she could. "I guess I'll be seeing you after?" She asked as she pulled away from her sister.

"Yeah, then we can go see a movie or go to a restaurant." They smiled as they nodded to each other as Elena walked away. She closed her bedroom door before sinking against it.

She wiped her eyes as she felt the tears running down. "Are you okay?" A voice asked from the other side of the door. "Of course." She wiped the last of them before standing.

She opened the door and saw Jeremy holding a cup. "I brought you some Lavender Tea. I talked to Elena and thought you might need some." Liliana took the cup from his hands and sat on the bed.

"I'm a little surprised that you still remember." Jeremy gave a small smile as he leaned on the door. "As hard as it is I just couldn't forget." She took a sip of the Tea before looking at him.

"You always do have the element of surprise, Jeremy." He nodded as he looked to the floor at his feet. "I'm glad you decided to stay."

"I stayed for Pete. I owe him after all." Jeremy looked up to her with sorrowful eyes. "I'll have Nick bring you up some dinner."

She took another sip as he walked out of the room. She had drunk all the Tea as she set down the cup on the side table. She looked over to the window and smiled as she saw the bird.