twenty-three

She walked from the room and to the bathroom upstairs

She walked from the room and to the bathroom upstairs. She stared at herself in the mirror as she had smeared blood on her face. She could see dried tears on her cheeks and her nose was red.

She turned as she heard someone open the door. There stood Jeremy with a somber face. He didn't ask as he pulled her onto his arms. He placed his hand on the back of her head.

"Why is it people close to me?" She asked as she pulled away to look at him. "First it was Jack then my friend Alice. Now it's Pete and Antonio." Jeremy removed his hands and placed them on the sides of her face.

"It's not. You still have me and your sister. You have Nick and even Clay. You will never be alone and I will promise that until I die." Liliana choked out a sob as she pulled him tightly into a hug.

"He told me everyone was going to be fine." Jeremy rubbed her back as she cried again. "If you must know we wolves can't see the future." Liliana pulled back as she rolled her eyes.

"I'm going to change. Do you want me to bring you a change of clothes?" She nodded as she stepped back and he patted her shoulder. "I'll be right back."

She got out of her clothes and stepped into the shower. She wrapped her arms around herself as she cried. She heard the door open then close. She looked past the curtain and saw her clothes neatly folded on the sink.

She got her shower done and got dressed. She walked down to see Nick finally up. She rushed over to him and took his arm in her hand. "Right now we need to go on the offensive, find out who else was involved and just how far this reaches."

She nodded as she looked over to her sister. "We also need to find out who that woman was at the ambush." "The Mutts are getting desperate if they're bringing in humans to do their dirty work."

"So where do we start?" Clay asked as Liliana leaned her head on Nick's arm. "Cain. Cains the weakest link." Liliana looked over at Jeremy with disbelief. "Cain's hardly weak."

"Yes, he is, he's mentally weak. He's sloppy. We need to find him and get him to talk." "I'll go to the campground see if I can pick up a scent." Liliana straightened up the suggestion as she looked at her sister.

"Not alone." "Elena you go with Clay. Nick, Liliana, and I will stay to tend to Antonio's body." Liliana shook her head as she made eye contact with Jeremy. Nick looked down causing Liliana to turn to him. She pulled him into a hug as he let his head fall to her shoulder.

"How's your wound?" "It's fine. Don't worry about me." Liliana looked over at her sister as she spoke. "I know how much he meant to you. To all of us. We can't bring Antonio back but we can make this right."

"Let's get you changed." She said as she held Nick by the arm. She leads him to the stairs before turning to her sister. Elena gave Clay a nod and he left out the door.

Elena pulled Liliana into a hug and squeezed her. "Come back. I can't lose someone else." Liliana said with a shaky voice and Elena pulled away. "I would never leave you behind."

Elena kissed her sister on the forehead before leaving. Liliana walked up the stairs and saw Nick leaning on the sink. "I'll get you some clothes. Take a warm shower and we will take care of everything."

She walked to his room and grabbed a denim shirt with some jeans. She picked the first shoes she saw and laid them on the sink. "Can you stay?"

Liliana gave him a soft nod, "I'll be right outside." Nick gave her a small smile before the door closed. Liliana sat on the floor with her back against the door.