Chapter 8

The 11th Carrier Strike Group was one of the most powerful fleets in service of the United States Navy, given that it had in of its most advanced ships as the flagship. The USS Liberty of the Liberty-class mega carriers.

A naval project that started before the outbreak of WWIII, the Liberty class was the biggest ship ever, even bigger than the Gerald R. Ford-class supercarriers. Currently, five ships in total have been ordered, with two in service since the mid-term of WWIII, and a third still under construction at a special shipyard capable of holding the massive ship, with the other two beginning construction of their hulls.

The USS Liberty like her sister ship, the USS Donald J. Trump, was massive, and by massive, she was like three carriers fused into one large ship. Her frame consisted of three massive hulls, with the bridge and hangers being built in the center hull, and the runways built on the outer hulls. Powered by six nuclear reactors, she would operate for decades without refueling and could power her weapon systems comprised of Phalanx CIWS, AN/SEQ-3 LaWS, SeaRAM launchers, ninety-two VLS cells, and twenty five-in railguns. She was also armed with heavier weapon platforms from ten VBMLS cells that could launch ballistic missiles, and two single-barreled sixteen since railgun main batteries. Inside she could hold more than just aircraft and in her rear hanger, she was carrying an entire complement of USMC vehicles and marines, who were ready for the upcoming battle as their ship steamed closer to the shore.

Escorting her were six Flight IV Arleigh Burke-class destroyers, four Ticonderoga-class cruisers, three Constellation-class frigates, two Independence-class Littoral Combat Ships, two Virginia-class submarines, and the USS John F. Kennedy Ford-class carrier for additional air support. Four of the United States' newest ships were also part of the escort of Sumter-class missile cruisers.

The Sumter-class was a new generation of naval power, being bigger than their old Ticonderoga precedents and more powerful. Armed with two MK 45 main guns, two hundred VLS cells, three Phalanx CIWS, two NA/SEQ-3 LaWS, and two SeaRAM launchers.

Fifty-six of these ships were put under order with twenty-one having been completed, as well as plans for five special variants that would be nuclear powered and armed with railguns instead of the MK 45s, redubbed railgun cruisers.

Temporarily part of the fleet was two of the three Zumwalt-class stealth destroyers ever built, with the third currently undergoing refit like the first two. The USS Zumwalt and USS Lyndon B. Johnson had received a major refit in internal sensors, modules, hull plating, and weapons. Their power plants were replaced to be nuclear powered to provide enough energy for its main weapons, there old six-inch Advanced Gun Systems had been replaced with six-inch Advanced Railgun Systems, armed with eighty VLS cells, four AN/SEQ-3 LaWS built into the sides of the superstructure, and a single five-inch railgun behind the bridge.

Both ships would be reassigned once the USS Michael Monsoor finishes her refit into what be called the 99th Destroyer Squadron.

The San Antonio-class amphibious transport docks USS New York and USS Arlington were also part of the fleet as they carried with them a complement of marines and amphibious vehicles.

"Admiral, we're approaching the northern shores of Iberia. Radar and satellite imaging have identified a large enemy fleet outside the target city." An officer reported as Admiral Tucker sat on his chair in the bridge of the Liberty. "Copy that. Launch aircraft and commence air operations. Maintain air superiority and engage enemy ships. Charge the railguns and commence terminal guidance strikes."

"Yes sir!" The officer saluted as orders were being sent down to CIC and air control as F/A-181s and F-14Es were being prepped and launched on both flight decks, the John F. Kennedy also readying her aircraft as both ships commenced the launching of aircraft.