Chapter 28

Missiles streaked up towards the atmosphere by the dozens as the intruders returned once again to violate the airspace above. However just like every previous encounter, the missiles had difficulty tracking and matching the ludicrous speeds of their targets. They all arched up before detonating midair well off their target's position.

The SR-72s had continued their intrusion, flying over the hidden continent and acquiring intel over the land below. Now instead of just sending one at a time, they had started sending multiple to gather more intel at a faster pace while continuously outrunning missiles and responding aircraft. A total of forty five sorties had been made, with not a single craft coming close to being shot down or intercepted. The SR-72s were practically untouchable to whoever was down there shooting up at them.

What they were uncovering however was very concerning to the United States government as they identified several military bases, airfields, harbors, and large missile silos embedded into the ground.

Aircraft, tanks, and warships were all being recorded by the unmanned aircraft as they flew over the land avoiding missiles and other attacks intended to shoot down the hypersonic aircraft. Based on the silhouettes and models being discovered, the US began to believe this nation to be some alteration of the Soviet Union like how the Aryan Reich was an alteration of Nazi Germany.

The SR-72s were intercepted by what was believed to be MiG-25s, MiG-29s, MiG-31s, Su-27s, and Su-30s, while reporting much older model jets stationed at the airbases. BMPs, BMDs, and BTRs were visible in ground bases with a large amount of tanks consisting of T-54s, T-55s, T-62s, T-64s, T-72s, and T-80s, as well as a surprising amount of what they believed were T-10s, Object 279s, Object 770s, and many other vehicles. Naval wise, these Soviet look a likes had a sizable fleet consisting of four Kuznetsov class aircraft carriers, eight Kirov class battlecruisers, and seven Kiev class aircraft carriers considered as the biggest threats within their naval presence.

Due to speculation, many began to believe this to be the origin of the unknown satellites found orbiting the planet as more had recently attempted to pass over the US mainland. In response, COTN had been more active in shooting down these satellites for later retrieval by surface forces while keeping it's guns at alert status and ready to fire if another satellite attempts to pass over.

Until then, all encounters with this mysterious nation were all similar in nature, with them firing missiles and trying desperately to shoot down the SR-72s with no success. For now the US would continue to send surveillance sorties to try and learn all they can about this nation. One thing for use was that they clearly shoot first and ask questions later.

As for the United States itself in general, it had completed it's recovery in infrastructure and economy going full steam ahead, with the flooded coastal areas and Florida now having been reconstructed and reoccupied by those who were previously force to abandon their homes once the water level increased.

At this point, the US was now back in it's prime and working towards slowing establishing itself as the new world superpower once they have more credibility above the current superpower of the Métropoleon Empire. To achieve this, the US planned to use the convention to display their technological and military superiority to the other big nations bordering the Empire.

For the convention, the US planned to exhibit several scientific concepts and inventions certain to draw attention from the crowds, while also giving a full display of multiple war fighting vehicles the US has commissioned starting from World War II to present day.

About a month before the convention took place, US commercial ships started arriving with contract hired engineers, materials, and equipment to help set up the location before they shipped in everything. Much to the pleasure of the Americans, the Métropoleons had constructed both an airfield and large firing range for demonstration purposes, but required for the runway to be better paved and extended to become functional for US aircraft.