Chapter 17

"What! What do you mean there's a coup taking place within the Iberian government?" President Kingsman cried out in outrage and frustration as he was on the phone with secretary Keller.

"It's as I said sir. Our asset within the council has reported back the uprising of a coup under the name of Hector Gellego, the senator in charge of the Iberian treasury. Intelligence says his primary goal is to annex the Grande Republic and it's resources. He was already on our watch list, but we didn't expect it to escalate this far."

"What of Emperor Felipe? What's his status?" The president asked.

"He's alive sir. He and several other loyal members of the senate are being held in the dungeons of the capital city. Our assets reports that all guards were bribed and are in allegiance with Hector, making the entire area under hostile control."

"What of the Iberian people or other garrisons? Do they know of this development?"

"Negative sir. We've seen no response from them. Either they're turn coats as well, or are unaware of what is happening within their capital."

"What of our response? Do we have a response force at the ready for deployment?"

"We're getting them ready sir. Nomad team is being transported by plane to our island base and will be briefed on the situation and their mission."

"Very well. I leave this whole development up to you. Just make sure the situation is under control and that the Iberian government is back in power. I want to avoid a full out war if possible."

"Don't worry Mr. President. I'm confident they'll get the job done."

The two hanged up on both ends, leaving them to their own devices so the President could focus on events within the country, and the Secretary of Defense could handle the coup.

———<>———<>———<>———

The sound of a C-17's engines echoed across the cool night sky, coming in for a landing at the airstrip of Forward Base Epsilon. The US oversea base off the southern coast of Iberia.

The massive plane came screaming in as it's rear wheel touched down on the asphalt tarmac, followed by the front wheel as the air brakes extended out from the wings, bringing the plane to a controlled stop as it pulled over to one of open hangers.

"Have they arrived yet?" The base commander questioned one of his lieutenants as they walked towards one of the hangers where a briefing would take place for the operation.

"Yes sir. Their plane just landed, and I believe they're making their way to the hangar now. As well as their vehicle is being reassembled for take off."

"Excellent. Any intelligence update from our inside source?"

"Affirmative. He just sent up an update over wireless about half an hour ago. It's the latest."

"Copy that, I make sure to quickly review it before giving the briefing to our boys."

The two officers entered one of the hangers where fifteen chairs, a table with pieces of paper, and a TV screen connected to a laptop were setup. The commander stood at the table as he opened the computer where he began sorting through some of the contents.

That was when 'they' showed up. Nomad team. A collection of fifteen soldiers from various branches of the most elite units in the United States Armed Forces. Green Berets, Night Stalkers, Rangers, SEALs, SWCC, MARSOC, RECON, and Special Tactics.