nightmares (requested)

The gasp that fell from your lips and the feeling of you jumping awake in bed beside her made Winter's eyes fly open.

She rubbed the sleep from her eyes before sitting up and turning the lamp on to brighten up the room. She watched you panting as you tried to catch your breath and noticed the sweat running along your skin.

"Another nightmare, baby?" She sighed and heard you sniffle as you closed your eyes and then opened them again.

You stared into her tired eyes with your sad ones. You felt shaken up as the memory of the terrible dream stayed with you, despite you being awake now.

"Yeah." You mumbled.

"Come here, my love," she whispered and opened her arms for you and as soon as you were close enough, she pulled you into her embrace and held you close.

Your back pressed against her chest as she brushed the tips of her fingers along your arm soothingly. She kissed your shoulders and your neck and helped try to calm you down.

"I don't know why they keep happening." You sniffled.

"I know." She whispered softly. "Just try to calm down. Catch your breath. No more worrying about those bad dreams. I've got you."

You laid your head back against her shoulder and swallowed thickly as you tried hard to relax and let go of the terrible memories and the worries of the bad dreams coming back.

"I'm right here with you. I know you keep having bad dreams, terrible ones. But you've always got me to comfort you and lean on. Just take a deep breath."

"I'm trying." You spoke quietly. "I know you're here and I'm so thankful for that and for you. But they're just so scary."

"I know." She whispered and began to run her fingertips along your back, her nails lightly brushing along your soft skin. "But they're just nightmares, baby. They're not real. Trust me, no one is ever going to touch a hair on your head when I'm with you. I promise you that."

You chuckled quietly and craned your neck to stare at her.

She smiled at you before pecking your lips and then your forehead when you turned your head once again.

"Everything's okay. You're going to be just fine. The bad dreams are going to stop. I promise. And, no matter what, I'm always here for you."

"I love you." You mumbled.

"I love you more. Now, how about we lay back down and watch a movie. It's almost six so if we fall back asleep, then we fall back asleep. If we don't, that's alright. I just want you to relax."

"You'll stay awake with me?" You asked and she nodded, smiling brightly at you, despite being a little sleepy still.

But she was used to lacking sleep, so she wasn't fazed by it. You need her. You need to relax and calm down after these terrible dreams you keep having and if this is a way to help you feel a little better, she's perfectly fine with staying awake with you.

You laid down and put your head on her chest as she grabbed the remote and turned your favorite movie on. She turned the lamp off and held you close, kissing your head a few times as she tangled her legs with yours.

"Everything's okay. You're okay." She whispered as she gazed into your eyes and stroked your cheek.

"I know that with you by my side, everything will always be okay." You smiled at her and she kissed you once more.

"I love you lots." She whispered.

"I love you too."

You both held each other as you started to watch the movie together.

Whatever happens, she's right by your side.

If you have more bad dreams, if you need her, she'll be right there with you; no matter what.