Extra: Through hard work - Hiro

Hello again! I hope you'll enjoy a little peek in Hiro's life just before he became part of Team Taryn. Don't forget to check out my story Clash of the Brats, which has more Taryn and her students. I wrote it with Amaterasu and it has a few of her characters in it too :) You can find it in My Works on my profile. 

---

“So did you pass?” Yuna Tomoda smiled at her younger brother as she plated up the dinner table.

“Of course I did!” Hiro beamed. He grinned widely and unfolded the sheet his teacher had handed him and held up hitai-ate. “See? And I’m in a team with Daro.”

“Who had that bright idea?” Yuna teased and her brother stuck out his tongue.

“Congratulations sweetheart,” his mother hugged the boy lightly and kissed his hair.

“Mom!” Hiro protested.

“Who is your other teammate?” Yuna asked curiously.

Hiro studied his sheet. “Uhm… Kuro Shiraki.”

“Shiraki?” his father lifted his head to join the conversation.

“Yeah. Do you know him, dad?”

“Hmm,” his father nodded, “the Shiraki family has served the Sunake family for generations. I think their oldest boy was in the Fourth’s personal guard. Souta Shiraki is in charge of the messenger birds.”

“Kimi was in my class,” Yuna provided, “I didn’t know she had another brother.”

“I didn’t even know he was in my class,” Hiro muttered.

“Who is your sensei, son?”

“It says here her name is Taryn.”

Yuna gasped and let a glass slip through her fingers where it shattered against the floor. “Taryn-sama­ Taryn?”

“Let me see that,” Hanade Tomoda took the paper from his son’s hand and studied it carefully. “I can’t believe it. It’s true. Taryn Sunake. The Fourth’s firstborn.”

“The Desertstorm?” Yuna whispered.

Hiro looked from his father to his sister confused. “Who is the Desertstorm?”

They both ignored him. “The Kazekage is very fond of his sister,” Hanade mused, “I wonder if he’s trying to do her a favor.” He looked at his son. “Have a care with her, Hiro.”

Hiro studied his father uncomfortably. “Why? What’s wrong?” He had been so excited that he was now officially a Genin and he was worried that this new sensei was going to prove a failure.

His father didn’t answer. His face held a puzzled expression and he walked out of the room.

Hiro looked at his sister for help.

Yuna bit her lip. “I don’t know her personally,” she said softly, “only be reputation.” She sat down next to her brother. “She was banished once, though I’m not sure why. It was only after the Fourth died that she was called back.”

Hiro’s eyes went wide and his throat was dry. Suddenly he wasn’t so happy anymore about his Genin rank.

***

“Are you sure?” Daro glanced at his friend nervously, “maybe you didn’t hear it right.”

“She was banished,” Hiro said, “how could I not hear that right? Even my dad was nervous at the mention of her name.”

The two boys were sitting on the steps of the pottery, discussing their new sensei.