Chapter 78 Hate and love and everything in between

A/N If you like Crow's Feathers then check out my new stroy that I wrote together with @Amaterasu. It's called Clash of the brats. It's a spin-off from Crow's Feathers and Amaterasu's Beauty is the Beast. You can find it on my profile page under My Works. We would love some feedback :)
---

“Do you think Taryn will be there?” Naruto asked.

Sai kept his eyes on the road ahead. He knew Naruto was really wondering about Sasuke. “I doubt it,” he said, “the exams are in Kiri this time after all. She is not a sensei, nor a Kage.”

“She could be guarding Gaara.”

“She will probably take care of the village in Gaara-sama’s absence.”

Naruto was silent for a moment. “He didn’t write back,” he said while kicking a pebble.

Now Sai did look at him. He blinked. “Who?” he asked confused.

“Sasuke,” Naruto muttered, “do you think he still hates me? I thought we were fine last time.”

Sai frowned. He wasn’t sure how to tell Naruto what he thought about it. He had become better at gauging people’s feelings, but he still had trouble conveying his own emotions. “I suppose not everyone is good with saying what they feel,” he suggested. From what he had seen of the Uchiha, Sasuke wasn’t a talkative person. Maybe that went for letters as well.

“Hmm,” Naruto mused in thought. He looked up. “Hey Kakashi-sensei, how far until we reach the shore?”

Kakashi looked over his shoulder, pretending he hadn’t heard their conversation. “Another hour should do it,” he told them. His mind was with Taryn as well. She had asked him to not place Itachi’s name on the Memorial Stone. Instead, shad asked for a  favor.
It had taken him a while to find it. The paint had faded over the years, making it hard to see the marking, but he had found it, on the wall close to the river. A faded Uchiha crest with a crack running through it.

“Kakashi-sama?” Sai’s voice called his attention. He turned to the boy.
Sai pointed at three approaching figures.

The newcomers came to a halt in front of them. “Kakashi,” Gaara nodded. He turned to the other two. Sai. Naruto.”

“Gaara!” Naruto gasped in surprise.

“Are you on your way to Kiri?” Kakashi asked.

Gaara nodded. “We might as well travel together now. We’re headed in the same direction.”

Kakashi nodded in agreement. He eyed Gaara’s bodyguards. “You didn’t take your siblings with you?” Gaara usually took Kankuro and Temari with him.

Gaara sighed. “I left them in Suna. Taryn’s in charge of the village in my absence. I told Kankuro to asssit her. And Temari keeps an eye on Ichiru.”

‘And on Sasuke too I guess,’ Kakashi thought to himself. “Are you expecting trouble?” he asked, “did you leave them in Suna to guard her?”

Gaara glanced at him. “There hasn’t been any trouble for years, but yes… it makes me feel better to know she and Ichiru are protected, though Taryn can take care of herself.”

“She’s a stubborn one,” Kakashi sighed.

“If I had told her, she would have thrown a fit,” Gaara said, “I think she still knows though.”

A gentle smile crossed Kakashi’s face. “How is she?”

“She’s doing well. Did she not write you?”

“She did,” Kakashi acknowledged, “She asked me to place a memorial in the old Uchiha quarter.” He ran a hand through his hair. “There’s a crack in the wall somewhere. She asked me to raise a memento there.”

Gaara nodded. “She still keeps his secrets.”

“What is she going to tell her son?”

“I don’t think that she knows that herself,” Gaara said seriously, “but it’s her decision.” He sighed. “In any case, it will have a great impact. Ichiru adores Sasuke.”

“So you made it into the Kage’s guard eh,” one of Gaara’s guards smirked at Naruto.