Chapter 13 Leaves

Sakura kept stealing glances at Taryn and Sasuke. She wasn’t sure how Taryn had ended up joining their team, but it had to do with Kakashi. Though Taryn didn’t seem bothered by Sasuke’s presence, Sasuke wasn’t as amused about hers. He glared at the girl’s back and walked a large distance behind the rest of the team while Taryn walked ahead. 
Sakura frowned. What was going on here? She’d be the first to agree that Taryn was scary, but Sasuke seemed to really hate her. Did he know something more?
“Sasuke,” she nudged him and he glared at her.
“What do you want?” he asked irritated.
“I was just wondering… you seem to know Taryn…”
“Stay out of it!” Sasuke growled.
“But I just…”
“Leave me alone,” Sasuke bit at her and he walked away.

Naruto walked closely behind Taryn and eyed her suspiciously. He still hadn’t figured out her mystery. Every once in a while he glanced back at Sasuke. Ever since he had found out Taryn was coming on this mission he hadn’t said a word and gave her murderous looks which she ignored.
Naruto thought back on that day at the inn, where Itachi Uchiha had tried to capture him. She saved Sasuke’s life when she attacked Itachi, but now that he thought about it, there was something strange about it. She had only hit him once and he had done nothing but restrain her. He hadn’t even tried to hurt her. And Gai had said something too. Did Taryn and Itachi know eachother? Why had she shown up at the inn? Was he working with Itachi?
Kisame said Itachi had killed his entire clan, except for Sasuke.

“There’s a man I want to kill…”  

Sasuke  had said that on the day they became a team. Did he mean his brother? What did Taryn have to do with it? Was she a criminal? But if she was, why had she saved Sasuke? She had saved him too and Shikamaru. And Gaara… But she was banished from Suna. It didn’t’ make any sense.
“What is it?” Taryn’s voice made him jump. He looked at her, but she wasn’t looking at him. Her words however had been directed at him.
“Nothing,” he hurried to say.
“So there’s no reason you’ve been staring at me since we left Konoha?” She asked.
Naruto gulped. “Ehh.. I was curious..”
“About what?”
“Why Sasuke hates you so much,” he muttered.
Taryn sighed. “He has his reasons,” she said.
Naruto leaned his hands behind his head and glanced at her from the corner of his eye. “And? What are they?”
Taryn looked at him. “They have nothing to do with you,” she said. She scanned the area carefully and leaped onto a branch and disappeared. Naruto gasped and was about to go after her when Kakashi pulled him back.
“Kakashi-sensei. She…”
“Is doing her job. She’s scouting for anything suspicious up ahead. These are important documents and we have a long way to go.”
“But…”
“She’ll be back. Don’t worry.”
“You trust her, Kakashi-sensei?”
Kakashi nodded. “Yes, I do. And so should you. You shouldn’t just judge her like that.”

Not long after, Taryn returned. Kakashi looked a her. “See anything?”
“All clear,” she answered. They exchanged concerned looks.
“That’s good right?” Naruto said confused.
“I don’t like this,” Taryn said, ignoring Naruto.
The others caught up with them. “Why are we stopping?” Sakura asked.
Naruto shrugged. “Beats me.” He frowned. “They think it’s strange there’s nothing suspicious around.”
“It is,” Kakashi said, “for documents that are that important we have encountered little resistance...”
“There will be,” Taryn mused, “we’re two days away from our destination. We must stay alert.” 
     “What are you suggesting?” Kakashi asked.
Sasuke’s head snapped up and he glared at Taryn.
“You are teamleader,” Taryn told Kakashi, “whatever you decide is fine with me.”
Kakashi nodded and turned to Sakura. “Hand me the map,” he said. They spread it out on a rock. “Okay,” Kakashi pointed, “we’re currently here. We need to cross the river and then continue through the forest for a few more hours. That will take us the rest of the day and part of tomorrow morning. Then, right before we reach the border of Stone, there is a canyon.”  
     Taryn pointed on the map. “The canyon is very narrow with high walls. It’s also very long and  there is no way around it. I’ve been there last year.” Sasuke muttered something under his breath, but Taryn ignored it.
“It’s the perfect place for an ambush then,” Kakashi said.
“Actually,” Taryn said, “it’s probably the safest place on the entire route. There’s no place to hide, so any attacker will be in plain sight. All you have to worry about is what happens above.”  
“We could get locked in from both sides,” Kakashi said, “it might be good for you as a close combat fighter, but not all of us have that fighting style.”
“Ryoki can clear us a path,” Taryn said, “so can Chidori. You shouldn’t count out Sharingan either.”
“No,” Kakashi said, “I will not risk using Sharingan. Is there a way over the canyon?”
“Probably, but it’s steep. Do your students have the stamina? Or the chakra?”
“Through it then,” Kakashi nodded. He folded the map and gave it back to Sakura. “There’s a clearing up ahead, just across the river. We’ll make camp there.”
“You want to spend the night in the forest?” Taryn asked.
Kakashi nodded. “Yes, I do. Why?”
Taryn shook her head. “I don’t trust this place. It’s too quiet. A clearing is too open.”
“Yes, but it also makes it easier to see any enemies coming,” Kakashi ended the discussion, “now, let’s get going. The longer we stay here, the longer it will take to cross this forest.” He lead the way towards the river.
Taryn let all his students pass and followed them from a distance. Sasuke kept stealing glances backwards, obviously not trusting her. Taryn sighed and shook her head. She had better things to do than keep an eye on this arrogant brat. She took one last look around the forest and then jogged up to the others. She would be glad to leave this forest behind.