Chapter 23 Ichibi

“I wonder what Temari is doing,” Gaara mused, “she should have arrived in Konoha by now.” “Temari will be fine as long as she doesn’t open that big mouth of hers,” Taryn grinned.

Gaara gave her an amused smile. “She gets that from you, you know.”

“Oh!” Taryn gasped. She had been throwing pebbles down to the street and now flung one at Gaara.

As usual the sand blocked it before it could hit, “Hn,” Taryn said annoyed.

Gaara chuckled. “You should know better,” he said.

“One day I’ll get you. Just wait,” Taryn said.

“Not likely,” Gaara grinned.

It was late afternoon and the two of them had retreated on the roof. From here they had a beautiful view of the village.

“I was surprised when you didn’t sign up your team for the Chuunin Exams,” Gaara suddenly said, “do you not think they are ready?”

Taryn sighed and her eyes saddened for a moment. “I don’t want to rush things,” she said, “father pushed me into the Chuunin Exams. I’m not going to do the same.”

“You were younger,” Gaara told her, “but I had their age when father sent me.”

“You know he only sent you because of Shokaku.” ‘Besides, it was Orochimaru who was behind it.’ She looked at him. “You put them under me. Are you questioning the way I lead my team?” “No,” Gaara said in a calm voice, “I know you don’t want to push them, but you shouldn’t hold them back either.”

“I’m not,” Taryn said, “I plan to sign them up for the next Exams.”

Gaara nodded.

Suddenly Taryn straightened up. She was staring down the road below. “Kankuro is back,” she said.

“About time,” Gaara said, “we could use him at the border.”

“Lord Kazekage,” a new voice said behind them. A Jounin kneeled on the rooftop and addressed Gaara, “it is time for the meeting.”

Gaara nodded. “Very well.” He looked at Taryn. “I have to leave.”

“Sure,” Taryn said, “I’ll be at the training grounds later.” She watched him leave with the Jounin and almost regretted moving him up for Kazekage. But he had wanted this and he was doing a good job.

She turned her head towards the sky. If she went to the training grounds now, she still had a few hours before dark.

The council stood up to greet the Kazekage and waited for him to sit down and start the meeting. “Over the past few years, the village’s power has stabilized,” Zhao said, “and our relationships with other nations have flourished. We have seen great success in recruit development since we incorporated Konoha’s training programs into our curriculum. And now the Chuunin exams are near. I look forward to the results.”

“However,” Yura countered, “we need to be careful. There are rumors going around.”

“What rumors?” Baki asked.

Yura’s eyes narrowed. “Akatsuki is on the move.”

“Are you sure one bag is enough?” Two figures clad in black and red made their way towards Suna. “our opponent is a Jinchuuriki after all.”

His companion ginned. “Don’t worry. My jutsu are all works of art, but just in case, I brought my specialty. Since our opponent is the One Tail.”