Chapter 25 Jinchuuriki

“Hey Naruto, can I ask you something?” Sakura looked at him uncertain, “how long have you been a target of Akatsuki?”
Naruto shrugged indifferently. “How should I know?”
“Two Akatsuki members came to Konoha about three years ago,” Kakashi said, “but I’m still not sure what they want exactly.”
“So now they’re back,” Sakura said, “why did they wait so long?”
“According to my information it requires some preparation to extract a Bijuu sealed in a human body,” Chiyo answered her, “they needed time.”
Sakura frowned. “What’s a Bijuu?”
Chiyo snorted. “You’re Tsunade’s student, but don’t know that?”
“In Konoha all information about the Kyuubi is top secret,” Kakashi said.
“I see,” Chiyo answered, “Bijuu are tailed beast’s spirits. From long ago there was Ichibi, the One Tail.”
“Ichibi?” Sakura asked, “so there are more than just the Fox.”
“Yes. There are nine Bijuu in this world. Each has a different number of tails. Ichibi means one tail, Nibi is two, up to Kyuubi, the Nine Tails. Their names represent the number of tails they have… Bijuu are huge concentrations of chakra. During the Era of the Great War, every nation’s hidden village competed fro control of them… for military purposes. But their power is beyond human understanding and no one could control them. I don’t know Akatsuki’s intentions, but that kind of power is far too dangerous for them to get a hold of.”

“More enemies approach,” Zetsu informed his comrades, “they’re Konoha shinobi.”
“Well,” Pain said, “who’s up for this?”
One of the holograms raised his head. “I will go.”

“Stop everyone,” Kakashi warned. He stared ahead. A figure in red and black was blocking the road.
“He’s… those eyes…” Chiyo said.
“Uchiha Itachi,” Naruto growled.
Itachi stared at them emotionless. “Long time no see… Kakashi… Naruto.”
‘This guy…’  Sakura thought angry, ‘he’s caused Sasuke so much pain.’
Naruto clenched his fists and narrowed his eyes furiously. “You… who do you think you are?! You come for me, kidnap Gaara… I’m gonna take you out!”
Itachi shifted a finger.
Kakashi gasped. “Nobody look directly into his eyes!” he said, ”it’s dangerous! Read his movements by watching his body and footwork. Itachi’s genjutsu is ocular. Basically, he seizes his target with his vision. You’ll be okay as long as your eyes don’t meet his.”
Sakura sighed. “This is not going to be easy.”
“Yeah,” Kakashi agreed, “he uses Mangekyo Sharingan. It’s more powerful than the original Sharingan, If you’re caught by his ocular jutsu, he has you instantly.”
A small smile appeared around Itachi’s lips. “Well done, Kakashi. You’ve learned from experiencing the Tsukuyomi, the Nightmare Realm, only once.”
“That’s not all,” Kakashi said, "after using that jutsu, you were spent and tried to wrap things up and leave. That jutsu requires a considerable amount of chakra. And it seems there’s quite the risk to our eyes too… Itachi.” He uncovered his own Sharingan. “How much of your eyesight have you lost?”
“After only one fight… that’s a pretty good analysis,” Itachi mused, “you are well informed. Or perhaps… you have another source of information?”
Kakashi narrowed his eyes. “Leave her out of this!”
Something changed in Itachi’s eyes. He seemed more determined now.
“Anyway,” Kakashi continued, “I dropped my guard last time. But I learn quickly. I don’t make the same mistake twice.”
Naruto smirked and straightened. “And if you think I’m the same as before, you’re making a big mistake!”
“I’ll take care of him, Naruto,” Kakashi said.
Naruto looked annoyed. “Is this more non-fighting teamwork?”
“No,” Kakashi answered, “this time I need you for back-up. I’d like to send you on ahead, but I don’t think I can take him alone.”

***

“Whenever will Gaara return?” The council had called in an emergency meeting.
“The Kazekage! A member of the Five Great nations, kidnapped by bandits! A scandal like this could undermine our authority over other countries!”
“True,” someone else said, “once the neighboring countries learn that the Kazekage is missing, who knows when or how they’ll start butting in. I propose we elect a new Kazekage immediately. Stabilizing the village must be our top priority.”
“Gaara may yet return,” Baki said stunned, “we don’t know he’s lost forever.”
“Well… fact is … it would be better for the village were he never to return.”
“What do you mean by that?!” Baki asked.
Kankuro sat next to him and glanced between the council members.
The man continued. “With the one tailed beast dwelling in Gaara, he is an unstable monster. We had thought if he were Kazekage, he would perhaps be easier to control. But who knows when Gaara will crack again? He’s a burden to us. There’s no denying it. Beside that, Taryn is gone now too and we don’t know about her whereabouts. We should never have let her come back to Suna. She was involved with Akatsuki while she was banished. She’s in league with them now most likely.”
Kankuro narrowed his eyes.
Someone else spoke. “Gaara may have adhered well enough to Shokaku, but he is far from perfect. He’s an unstable guinea pig. A failed test case that even his father, the Fourth Kazekage, ordered destroyed. Not knowing what Gaara is made of… some youths hold him in some esteem, but to most of us he is simply a threat and we expect no great things form him. That’s a fact.”
Kankuro trembled with anger and kicked back his chair. He grabbed the man’s collat and brought his face up close. “You’d better shut that mouth of yours. Senior officer or no, I’m not going to sit and listen to this! Gaara saved this village when Akatsuki attacked. He risked his life when Matsuri was taken and this is how you repay him?! And my sister… She would never cooperate with Akatsuki! She would never harm Gaara! She was banished because of it!”
“Kankuro! Stop this!” Baki said, “do you not see the statues? We all sit in the shadows of the former Kazekage. This is a sacred place!”
“Gah!” Kankuro yelled and he let go.
“Kankuro,” the council leader spoke, “I understand how you feel. It’s just that… the issue isn’t whether or not we trust Gaara. We face a similar situation with the Third Kazekage. At that time, there was no speculation regarding his whereabouts and the instability almost led to war. In any case, right now, our priority must be this village.”