Chapter 33 Regrouping

Taryn walked out of the bathroom, a towel around her and another one in her hand to dry her hair. Kakashi looked up when she entered and smiled at her. “Are you hungry?” he asked, “we could go downstairs to the bar for a bite.”
Taryn shook her head. “No, I’m not hungry.”

They were staying in an inn in the land of Waves. Their mission was over and they were on their way back home. There was only the two of them since no one in the village had been very wiling to team up with her.
Except for Kakashi.
She knew he liked her. He had made that quite clear. But he respected her feelings and waited for her to make the first move. Waited until she was ready. Until she was over Itachi. But that wasn’t going to happen. She knew that already.
Part of her regretted that. Kakashi was a good person. He had been there for her when she came back to Konoha. He had been her friend when no one else wanted to be and she trusted him. She even liked him.
But it wasn’t enough.
“Are you sure?” Kakashi asked.
“Hm?” Taryn asked.
“I mean, you haven’t eaten all day.”
“I’m sure,” she answered.
He looked at her sadly. She still wasn’t happy here. Even after all this time.
She sat down on the edge of the bed next to him. “What is it?” she asked softly.
Kakashi shook his head and gave her a faint smile. “Nothing.”
Taryn gave him a skeptical look. “Right. I’m not buying that. Spill.”
Kakashi sighed and stood up. “You should get dressed.”
Taryn turned red when she realized she was still wearing only a towel. It had become so natural to be herself around him. She had been back for almost a year now. Two years since she had last seen Itachi. He hadn’t even tried to contact her. And he probably never would. And Kakashi was here. She liked him. She trusted him. He was reliable. She didn’t want to be alone anymore. Slowly she stood up and walked over to him.
First he looked surprised, then uncertain.
Taryn sighed. She cast him a faint smile and took a step closer.
He stared at her for a moment and leaned in. When she didn’t pull back he leaned closer and pressed his lips on hers briefly. When he pulled away he looked at her questioningly. "What’s with this all of a sudden?”
Taryn shrugged. “Does it matter?”
“Yes, it matters. You know what I...” He sighed.
“You’re always there for me,” Taryn said, “I have no one else.”
“You don’t owe me anything.”
“I know that. I… I’m not making promises. Just…”
Kakashi nodded. “Then I won’t ask for one,” he said and kissed her again.

It was late at night. Taryn was staring at the wall, her back towards Kakashi. She could hear his regular breathing, so she knew he was asleep.
What had she done?
She knew she should never have made that first move, but she had acted on impulse.
It wasn’t like she didn’t care about Kakashi. She did. She cared quite a lot actually. But she shouldn’t have done this. He deserved better. She shouldn’t have given him false hope. She should have left him alone. She should have stayed away from him the moment her told her he had feelings for her. She shouldn’t have returned to Konoha in the first place. But it was the only place she had ever felt safe since Suna. Kakashi made her feel safe.
Taryn sighed. She missed Itachi. She still loved him. And Kakashi was fully aware of that. She couldn’t take this.
She sighed again and rolled over so she could look at Kakashi. He was sound asleep. If she wanted to leave, she would have to do it now.
Carefully, so she wouldn’t wake him, she stood up and got dressed. She kept stealing glances at he bed, but Kakashi didn’t stir. Softly she tiptoed to the bed and suppressed the urge to touch him. “I’m sorry,” she whispered and slipped out the door. She had to leave. She couldn’t stay here. She had to find her own way. And there was still a promise to be kept. It was better this way.
Without looking back she hurried down the road with no intention of ever returning.