05

I remember the first time I was scarier of becoming the thing you feared

I followed her. The streets were sketchy in this society and it was general courtesy to escort her back, even if she wasn't disabled. I was engrossed in how she manoeuvred in her world. I silently trailed behind her as she tapped her cane on the ground, following the tactile paving one step at a time.

There was a bike couple metres ahead of her. Rushing forwards, I pushed the bike off the paving, leaning towards the side so she could get through. She stopped directly in front of me as she scrunched her nose.

"Winwin?" She rose her eyebrows. She must have recognised my scent.

"Uh yeah" I replied. She'll think I'm a stalker now.

"I thought you went home" She resumed her steps. Mine fell in line with hers.

"I live in the dorms"

"You do? We could've walked back together"

"I didn't want you to think I was getting any ideas with you"

She chuckled "It's fine. I trust you"

She gives trust too easily. I didn't like that. Broken trust hurts more than a knife wound.

"What high school did you attend?"

I picked off a bit of skin from my fingers "I didn't properly attend highschool"

Instead displaying pity, she shrugged "Everyone has their own reasons for everything"

I simply didn't reply.

"How about your friends? Do you keep in con..."

"Sooah there's-"

There were a cluster of men dressed in messy suits and clutching glass bottles of alcohol trampling over the paving. They looked drunk, far too drunk to be wandering around at a time like this.

Out of panic, I grabbed her shoulder and pulled her towards me. Our two bodies knocked towards the wall, her cane dropping to the ground with a clatter. A subtle gasp left her lips.

"What's..."

"Shh" I hushed, bringing a finger to her lips. Blending in with the shadows, I waited till their ugly muttering disappeared. I hadn't tasted that type of foul language in a long time. I pushed myself away from her and picked up her cane, placing it gently into her hand.

"What happened" She asked, attempting to find the paving again

"Nothing. There was a uh" I thought fast "a dog"

"A dog?"

"Yeah. An angry one" I lended her a hand and guided her back on the path. She chuckled and that was the last conversation we had for the night. We walked back together, in complete silence.