24

I remember the first time your hope, was me

I should not be here but I am. I snuck into the Design classroom, clambering up couple flights of stairs to slide into the seat next to the girl with the short, black hair and caramel eyes.

"Hey" I whispered. Sooah's eyes widened, jolting in her seat. I couldn't help but chuckle at how cute she was.

"What are you doing here?" She hissed, her hand subconsciously falling over mine. There was something about how warm it felt when our hands are together.

"I wanted to ask whether you wanted to go on a date" I smiled, tugging at her fingers.

"You could've asked later" She shook her head, frantically trying to jot down what the teacher was saying. I think was a bit of a nuisance, as there was simply no way she could jot down notes if I kept talking. She had this cool yellow grid thing when she wrote. I never knew how it worked but it seemed pretty interesting.

"I wanted to see you, and thank you for visiting my mum with me yesterday" I could smell her perfume. It was the one I gave her.

"Shush I'm trying to listen" She scolded, in which I stopped harassing her and slid her a piece of paper under her finger. She glanced around in surprise, her finger slowly exploring the piece of paper I had given to her.

"Movies?" She whispered "You learnt braille?"

"Yeah. Come with me to the movies. I remember you once told me you've never gone to the movies before, so, I want to take you"

"I cant even see the movie, what's the point-"

"You can do what everyone else can do, Sooah"

•••

"The guy just walked in with a gun" I whispered beside her, leaning close to her ear as my hands were softly intertwined with hers.

"What's he doing with the gun?" She questioned back. I could feel her eyes on me, but I couldn't bring myself to look back at her knowing I wouldn't be able to control myself.

"He's pointing it and the antagonist- oh my god" I inhaled sharply, a murder scene flashing before my eyes on the big movie screens.

"What happened?" Her voice sent chills down my spine.

"He shot the gun, and now the antagonist is dead- scrap that, he just got up and started crawling. He grabbed his ankle and-"

"and what?"

"and he tripped the guy. They're fighting now" I spoke quietly to her "Oh god, look Sooah he just-"

I snapped my head towards her and yanked her hand in my direction out of shock. My eyes widened, glancing between her eyes that settled on my nose.

"And how do you expect me to look?" She laughed. I gently hit her against the arm "Yah, don't say that. It's not funny"

We sat there in silence for a couple sections, just eyes stuck onto each other. My eyes trailed along her lips, scoffing down the saliva that was building in my throat. She could probably feel the sweat that was now beading my palms.

In a split second, she leant forward, her lips scraping against mine for a peck. My breath hitched. She shouldn't be doing this to me. My boundaries were been broken.

"Sorry" My hand fell over her neck, bringing her face towards mine. Before I could withdraw my mind from its far places, her arms were around me. I felt again the rush of helplessness, the sinking yielding, the surging tide of warmth that left my limp.  And the quiet face of her was blurred and drowned to nothingness. I bent back her head across my arm and kissed her, softly at first, and then with a swift gradation of intensity that made her cling to me as the only solid thing in a dizzy swaying world. My insistent mouth was parting her shaking lips, sending wild tremors along my nerves, evoking from my sensations I had never known I was capable of feeling. And before a swimming giddiness spun her round and round, I knew that she was kissing me back, my heart pounding to the syncopation of our lips.

Me, her, in darkness complimented by the dashing multicoloured lights. It was so magical.

We parted, and she said a couple words that I could barely process in the moment.

Her forehead against mine and breath mingling with my own "The surgery is tomorrow"

•••

"How about we rethink this" I groaned, dragging her away from the waiting room. She shook her head, laughing at my forever childish attitude.

"I've already signed the papers, Winwin" She pulled me along with her, her cane tapping silently against the floor. It was strange. Something about me didn't want to lose the innocence she possessed now. It was as if I knew that the moment she saw the real world, she'd get hurt. The world is a dangerous place; cruel, unforgiving, dark, you name it. People's minds are complicated and the more one knows, the more power one has to abuse that knowledge. It's how us, humans...no, us creatures have to operate in this society to simply survive. Scurry for money and beg for reputation. Life was as simple as that.

I was scared the moment she lost her shield of obliviousness, she would crumble under the nasty grasps of society.

"Sooah" I whined for the umpteenth time, in which this time, she actually stopped. Sighing, I pulled her into my embrace, closing my eyes and praying to dear god that she would be OK. Her hands clutched my jacket tightly, face pressed into my chest as if I was the only lifeline still keeping her going. She held me so tightly that I knew, she too, was scared, despite holding up such a strong facade.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" I whispered against her head. It wasn't that I didn't want her to finally achieve the one goal she had in life, it was just that I was terrified. Terrified of losing her embrace, terrified of losing her smile. Terrified of losing her. The consequences were too heavy to bare if even one mistake were to happen.

"I want to do this" Her hands were trembling "I want to see who you are". Her fingers trailed up to reach mine, tracing my nose, and then to my jaw gently. Her eyes flickered with admiration; it felt as though she knew exactly what I looked like just from a single touch.

"I want to be able to see what I touch" Her words were becoming increasingly breathy "Your nose..." She placed her finger on the tip of my nose. "Your cheeks..." She cupped her hand over my flushed cheeks. "Your eyes" She lightly brushed her finger over my eyelashes. "Your lips."

I caught my breath.

Her thumb ran along my lip, a smile forming on her face.

"All I want to see, is the face that I've fallen so deeply in love with"

In her eyes, was love.