Chapter 5

Quartz eyed the hybrid IceWing-NightWing suspiciously as she left. I wonder if she's part of the prophecy. Her thoughts were all jumbled up. He read: Plan is working. She lured all her patrols to that one spot, so we can work on the second part of the plan. Quartz didn't hear any more of her thoughts. He raced off towards the RainWing Royal Pavillon. I have to see Queen Tropical, now! Quartz knew he was going to warn Queen Tropical but he wasn't sure she'd believe him. Just because I'm a hybrid, like the IceWing, he thought bitterly. He'd worked so hard to prove his loyalty to his new tribe, but not everyone trusted him yet. This affair made it worse. He saw stares in the corridors and glares while collecting fruit, but no one seemed to care. Quartz didn't know where he came from, or where he was born, but he knew that Marigold was his younger sister, because they did a venom test when he arrived three years ago.

When he finally reached he Royal Pavilion, he didn't wait in line Iike any other normal RainWing. "Rude!" spat an elderly RainWing. "Queen Tropical! I have important news! It's about that hybrid!" Quartz interrupted the RainWing inside's turn. Queen Tropical's response was immediate. "What about her?" She asked. "I read her mind," he began, "and she was thinking that she had a plan to attack other parts of the rainforest while everyone is guarding that one spot. Queen Tropical looked horrified. "That's all my fault!" she exclaimed. "Sorry, everyone's here, let's go somewhere more private." The two walked into the Throne Room. "Okay, what else did you hear?" Queen Tropical demanded. "Nothing much." Quartz looked at her apologetically. "Sorry, but I came here straightaway."

Queen Tropical looked kindly at him. "Well, thanks for warning me. You have done a great service to the tribe, especially your mind reading is quite a gift." She dismissed him with a wave, then added as he turned to leave, " I will call another tribe meeting after sun time to discuss this."

Quartz nodded and flew off  to his hammock for sun time. He'd made his hammock right next to Marigold's so he could watch over his younger sister as she slept. He was only half RainWing, so he didn't need to sleep that much. The golden RainWing was already fast asleep beside him, so he quietly rolled on his hammock and fell asleep.

The hybrid NightWing-RainWing woke up not long after. He slipped quietly out of his comfortable hammock and crept silently to the edge of the rainforest for some peace and quiet instead of loud, snoring RainWings. Quartz didn't know why, but he never felt like he needed to sleep during the night. He thought that because he was partly NightWing, he should stay awake during the night. But apparently, he wasn't supposed to.

Quartz stayed silent deep in his own thoughts when talonsteps jerked him out of his thoughts.  He quickly hid behind the shadows of a sturdy mangrove tree. His unusual copper colour was obvious, unlike the usual shadowy NightWings. He peaked out from behind the tree, his thumping heartbeat threatening to give him away. 

But what he saw made his heart beat even faster. Two IceWing soldiers were walking into the territory, their movements loud. But I bet they think that because we're RainWings, they wouldn't notice. But I'm not just RainWing, I'm NightWing too. Then he realised something. That IceWing that came walking into our arboretum today. The IceWing. Quartz wondered if the soldiers were working under that hybrid dragon. But how? The IceWing that walked in wasn't Queen Snowflake, the current queen of IceWings, it was another dragon altogether. 

Quartz listened carefully to their voices. The first one said, " Blizzard, are you sure this plan of Nova's is going to work?" The second one, also known as Blizzard, said, " well, Floe, she certainly knows what she's doing, since she is an assassin and all, but it doesn't seem reasonable that we're supposed to murder RainWings and NightWings," Blizzard growled.

The snow warriors. Quartz remembered the prophecy in a flash. Beware the snow warriors. That could mean the IceWings! They were a danger to Phyrria!

Without any more thought, he leaped out from his hiding place and sprang onto the back of the first IceWing who'd spoken. The IceWing screeched and caught the attention of his friend. Blizzard turned on him hissing frostbreath at his face. Quartz ducked and slashed at Blizzard, flailing to stay on the IceWing's back. He dug his sharp claws in deeper, and the IceWing screamed in pain. "Help, Blizzard, please..." the IceWing was in a lot of pain, evidently. As Blizzard reared and slashed at his head, he yelled to his friend, "Hold on Floe!" Blizzard knocked Quartz off with the force of his blow. Hmm, maybe these IceWings might beat me, because they have training, and I don't. Floe was much smaller than him, but he was stronger. Blizzard was big and strong. Floe was laying on the ground, writhing from the deep claw marks that Quartz inflicted on him. He was injured from the bite on his neck, but he was still strong enough to breathe frostbreath. It was hard to dodge the frostbreath, so he decided to tie up the first IceWing's snout with vines. Quartz flew through the trees, his smaller size helping him to slip through the trees while Blizzard had to fly around. He didn't know that Blizzard would fight him, but he knew loyal friends always stayed loyal. And it seemed that Blizzard was the IceWing's friend.

Reaching a tree where there were vines hanging down from the branches, he snapped off a few long enough to tie the Floe's snout. Quartz was aware that there was also Blizzard on his tail, hissing angrily. He knew he wouldn't have that much time to spare before he turned into a frozen ice cube. 

Quickly arriving back to the clearing where the IceWing had been laying, he pulled the vines tightly around the IceWing's snout. Blizzard still hadn't arrived yet, so he dragged the IceWing under a bush and waited. A huge storming through the bushes alerted Quartz of Blizzard's arrival. Quartz whirled around and leaped at Blizzard, teeth bared. Quartz felt coldness seeping across his smooth scales. The last thing he saw was Marigold's huge golden eyes, closely resembling his, before the rainforest blurred slowly to black. 

_________________________________________________________

Thanks everyone for reading this chapter, it was a little longer than the others, about 1000 words,  yay! Do you think Quartz will survive to tell everyone what he knows now? Vote on this chapter if you think yes.

See you in the next chapter!                                  

~Dragongirl~