Chapter 7

Quartz heard some voices murmuring above him. His muscles throbbed and his neck had a dull aching pain in it. The voices continued to get louder, until he could hear that they were Marigold's voice and someone unknown. Quartz tried to force his eyes open, but for some reason they wouldn't open. "Woah," the unknown voice said. "Take it easy, Quartz," came Marigold's softer voice. Quartz blinked open his eyes, shocked by the blinding light that greeted him. He immediately shut his eyes, and then slowly opened them, causing sunlight to flood them again.

He was not in the rainforest, he we actually just outside it. Above him, Marigold and the unknown voice's owner, who turned out to be Berry, a RainWing healer. Quartz turned his gaze to Marigold. The golden and orange RainWing's face was etched with worry, and hope. "How long have I been out for?" Quartz winced at his own voice; it sounded scratchy like he hadn't used his voice for a long time.

Marigold stared at him and looked down uncomfortably. "A moon." "What?!" Quartz spluttered in confusion. "Are you sure?" He said disbelievingly. "Yes," confirmed Berry. "You wouldn't have lived if Marigold hadn't brought you back for instant treating. I'm sorry, up your neck will be scarred black with frostbreath forever." Berry stared at his neck, giving him a silent apology. 

His sister sighed. "Let's get you back to the healers hut now. You need to rest." Quartz closed his eyes for a heartbeat. She was right as usual, he did feel exhausted. He hobbled through the rainforest towards the RainWing village. Every part of his body ached, from his horns to his tail, but he was determined to show the healers that he could walk perfectly fine. Marigold and Berry chuckled at his efforts, and he glared playfully at them. He lifted his talons in defeat.

"Okay, okay, carry me or do whatever you want with me. I won't stop you," he said. Berry snorted. "We can't carry you Quartz!" She exclaimed. "You do know that you've grown in the past month, right?" Quartz looked at himself in confusion. She was right. He had grown. Now he towered over the two RainWings. He had to crouch down to look at them both in the eyes.

He staggered into the healers hut, laying down on the cooling vines on the ground. He thought Floe and Blizzard, about Marigold following him to the edge of the rainforest, about waking up after so long. So much had happened since a moon ago. He opened his sleepy eyelids and found Marigold sitting on the edge of his bed. Marigold nudged him gently. "What are your thoughts on the prophecy?" Quartz cleared his throat. "Well," he started, " I think that 'the snow warriors means the IceWings." "You don't know that all the IceWings are following that evil hybrid," protested Marigold. "What if they aren't? We can't fight them all anyway. And we are not going to fight innocent dragons for something they did." She was silent for a moment, then looked up at him. 

"You haven't told me what happened yet," she murmured quietly, so only Quartz could hear. "What happened?" Quartz cocked his head at her. "You know what I'm talking about." Her voice was laced with irritation. "You killed Floe. You attacked him, you tied up his snout, and left him to die!" She was no longer keeping quiet. 

His face burned with embarrassment as everyone in the hut stared at him. "I had to! They were killing RainWings! Of course I did! Why are you so angry with me anyway?" He tried to justify himself. Marigold tensed, suddenly aware that everyone was staring at them. 

"You just killed one of Queen Snowflake's soldiers! You declared war between the RainWings and the IceWings!" All the healers stared at him in dismay. "Things have not been going too well for the RainWings now, and this just adds to our list of problems. Our patrols have been attacked and everyone has been killed, especially witnesses. We have to show the IceWings that we are not afraid to fight. We have to use our venom."

Berry spoke up. "I hate to say this, but I agree with Marigold. We can't defend ourselves without it, and we can get trained for war. If we don't, we will be wiped out." Another RainWing gasped. "Don't say that!" She exclaimed. Berry continued. "But it's true. Slathering the truth with honey won't prevent the inevitable."

Everyone had to agree with Berry's logic. They had to use their venom, and train for battle. They couldn't sit by and watch as their tribemates got slaughtered by IceWings. All the RainWings in the hut split up into small groups and prepared for the coming war.

_________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed my story so far, I love writing this story.

I tried to end all my chapters in a cliffhanger, tell me in the comments if you liked it!

~Dragongirl~