Chapter 2

Lynx stared at the endless ice bergs stretching far out in the Ice Kingdom.  Her task was to catch a polar bear for the Royal visit. Queen Sunrise was coming to visit Queen Snowflake, for a gathering. They had been good friends ever since dragonethood. The SkyWing Queen was very distant, in Lynx's opinion. She rarely spoke to anyone, except for her subjects and Queen Snowflake. 

Both of Lynx's siblings had to catch a polar bear as well. She had two siblings, Nova and Seal. Both of them wanted to rise in the circles like her. Lynx was second highest, in the first circle. Her half sister, Nova was an assassin and top in the first circle for the dragonet rankings. Her sister's seventh hatching day was a whole year away, so she had to maintain first spot for a year. 

Lynx focused her dark blue eyes in the distance. There. A large white polar bear was sitting on an iceberg about five icebergs away. It was not aware of the dragon hunting her, but such a large polar bear wouldn't be easy to kill. Lynx crept up on the white mound of fur stealthily. The royal family would have a good meal tonight.

 She had almost pounced when the slippery ice gave way and she fell into the soaking cold water. She thrashed around, trying to look up into the hole she just fell through. Lynx frantically stared up into the thick ice. She was trapped underneath the icebergs. Where was the hole that I fell through? If I can find it, I could get out! She may have been an IceWing, suitable for freezing waters, but IceWings had to take a breath before diving into the water first. Lynx was running out of air fast. She had to think. 

The IceWing smashed her white and light blue talons into the ice, causing a tiny dent in the ice. That was too slow. She would run out of energy and tire out quickly, then she would use up all the breath she was holding. A shudder in the water caused Lynx to shiver. She looked around her. A huge black and white whale was heading straight for her! 

Orca! Lynx backed up to the ice, hating what she saw in front of her. The massive killer whale could crush her in an instant. But I could use it, she realised. Lynx had to get the orca to smash its black and white head into the ice, that would shatter the ice, enough for Lynx to kick her way out. 

The orca still seemed unaware of her presence. Lynx waved her talons in front of the orca's eyes. It turned it's huge head towards her. Okay, maybe this was a mistake. The orca looked even bigger now. It snarled and swam towards her, it's strong flippers gliding smoothly through the water. She stayed in front of the ice, and at the last second, when the orca was about to crash into her, she dodged out of the way, watching the killer whale crash into the ice. It spun around, surprising Lynx with her agility. The huge orca was nimbler than she thought, especially for a creature its size. She would have to get out fast. The IceWing propelled herself upward towards the cracked ice and smashed her head against it. Her head throbbed but at least there was a hole now.

Bright sunlight shone through the small hole, making her blink in surprise. She clambered out of the hole, watching the orca swimming underneath the surface. That was close, she thought. The  polar bear that she was trying to catch stared right across the water at her, too far away to sneak up on. Oh, and I didn't get that polar bear anyway, she thought ruefully. 

Lynx lifted off in the sky to look for her siblings and possibly another polar bear she could catch. She banked and spotted Seal waiting to pounce at the edge of an iceberg. Lynx didn't want to ruin his chance to rise in the circles, so she left him alone. She circled the whole IceWing territory, looking for a polar bear she could catch. But it seemed like all of them were in their dens, and IceWings weren't supposed to hunt in their prey's own home. She'd almost went back to the castle when she had a curious thought.

I went around the whole territory and didn't see Nova. Where could she have gone if she wasn't in IceWing territory?

_________________________________________________________

Thank you for reading up to Chapter 2 of Dawn of Revenge. I hope you enjoyed it. Please vote on this chapter. 

♡ Dragongirl