2.8 What The Frick Just Happened?

Esperanza's doctor stood at the foot of her bed as she cuddled into JJ and the pogues. They were talking about Esperanza's medical plan for the stab wound from Mrs. Crane.

"I would like to prescribe a weeks worth of Oxycodone." The Doctor said.

"No." Esperanza shook her head, despite how tempting it had sounded, she needed to stick with no.

"It will help you with the pain-"

"I don't want it." She said seethingly. "You can prescribe it but I won't take it. I'll have one of them get rid of it and that's a waste of perfectly good oxy so don't."

Elena walked into the room,"Oh? Hello?"

"El- Mrs. Mendoza?"

"Dr. Machado?" the two females stared at each other, Elena snapped out of it and asked politely,"Is there something we can help you with?"

"I wanted to prescribe a weeks worth of Oxycodone but-"

"Absolutely not. She has a history of substance abuse. Opioids of any choice are off limits to her." Elena explained.

"Oh I see."

Esperanza stared at the back of Gavin's car before glancing back to Catalina through the rear view with one question on her mind. Did Jamille know that Esperanza was her niece when she was her doctor. "Holy shit." Esperanza muttered to herself. Esperanza pulled over about a block down from Gavin and grabbed the hat that JJ had left in her car and put it on her head.

The group followed Esperanza out of the car and over to a fence. "Nice Camera. Where'd you dig up that relic?" JJ asked Pope,"Why don't you just use your phone?"

"Well, first of all, I like my antique electronics. Second of all, that is a telephoto." Pope said to JJ in response.

"Is that supposed to help?" Catalina asked Kiara.

"It allows me to get a close image from far away." Pope said to her.

"Lord of the dorks." Kiara said shaking her head.

"For definitive proof of witness payoff, we're gonna need quality glass." Pope defended his camera. "Besides. I borrowed it from Hope. So make fun of her instead."

"It's a very nice camera. There he is." Esperanza said looking at Ward who was running down the street.

"Yo get down." JJ said pushing Esperanza's shoulder down lightly, he knew she was hurt somewhere on her torso by the way she held side.

"And there's Gavin." Pope recorded them running off behind a building,"Where are you going, you son of a bitch? No, no, no, no. I'm losing him. Shit. Where's he going?"

"Hold on." JJ said, Esperanza turned around and followed the boy. JJ whistled to get the group's attention,"Yo. Hey. I found something. Come here. Gotta go up top."

She followed JJ up the ladder. "Hurry. Don't wanna miss anything." Kiara said to Pope who was behind her.

Esperanza smiled. They had clear view of Gavin and Ward,"You rolling Pope?" JJ asked.

"Are you getting it?" She asked him.

"Yeah. Yeah, I see them." Pope said. "Ward just handed Gavin something. I think it's a duffle bag."

"Guys, I think this is a pay off " JJ said. Esperanza shot the boy a look to let him know that he was stating the obvious.

"Gavin doesn't look happy about something. It looks like he's yelling at Ward." Pope said.