2.16 Welcome to Charleston

Elena scrunched her face up as her mother struggled to zip up her dress. Jamille sat on her bed enjoying every second of this. Constance tugged more and more at the zipper.

She let out a grotesque groan. “Honestly child. Could you have gained more weight?” she said in disgust.

    “I'm sorry mama.” Elena said.

    “Mid sommors is in a week.” Constance reminded her oldest daughter,“This isn't working. I'm gonna have to tailor it. In the meantime cut down on the calo-” She caught the look of shame on her daughter's face. “Elena?”

    “Mommy... There's something I have to tell you..” Elena said in voice filled with sorrow. She turned around to face her mother, who looked at her daughter with anticipation.

    “My parents are so paranoid about me being a pogue, like it's the worst thing to ever happen.” Kiara said after sparing a wary glance at Esperanza to see if she was paying attention or not, she wasn't.

    “Hey. I hear they have good weed at boarding school, though.” JJ said trying to lighten the mood.

    “I'm not going to boarding school. They're gonna have to kidnap me, tie me up, and throw me in a van.” Kiara said stubbornly.

JJ looked at Esperanza, she wasn't paying any attention to Kiara, instead focused on the water they were sitting on. “Well I say...” he trailed off as he put the joint in his mouth and jumped off the roof of the truck whilst taking a hit before he held out the blunt for Kiara,“We just crumble some herb right now.”

Kiara rolled her eyes but took the blunt anyways. Pope looked over at Esperanza,“Hey Es. Have you tried to hit John B back on that number yet?” he asked her which made her look over at him.

    “Only like twenty million times.” Esperanza said.

    “That's quite a few times.” JJ said with a chuckle which made her smile.

    “Some random lady at a hotel keeps answering.” she said.

    “Well, until we hear from them again, we gotta try and clear his name.” Pope said,“Right now, this letter is our best bet.”

Esperanza nodded. “Right. Stay on task. That's why I love you.” JJ said while nodding. Esperanza stood up and grabbed the blunt from Kiara, not sparing the girl a single glance.

    “What the hell are you doing?” Kiara asked her, without answering Esperanza put the end of the blunt in her mouth and inhaled deeply. She took it out and leaned her head back before exhaling.

    “Relax Kiara. It's only weed. I know plenty of people who smoke weed without fully relapsing.” Esperanza said. She turned around on her heels and looked at Pope before holding it out for him. “What Pope are you gonna be today?”

He looked at the joint before back at her,“I'm good. I'm gonna try to focus.”

Esperanza smiled at him proudly. “Good choice. Good Pope.” She said while taking a seat next to JJ.

    “Boring Pope.” Kiara said sitting on the other side of him.

    “Responsible Pope. He doesn't need to be high or anywhere near high during this meeting.” Esperanza said. “Cat?”

    “No thank you.”

JJ made grabby hands,“I'll take that.’ Esperanza smiled and handed it to him,“Um, do tricks now? Roll over, boy!” he laughed.

    “Sit.” The couple said at the same time while laughing.

    “Try to catch a fish. Catch a fish.” Esperanza encouraged as JJ barked, prompting the girl to laugh.

JJ took a hit and handed it back to Kiara. So what do you think Mr. Limbrey want-”

“Hey C. Limbrey is a girl.”

Esperanza never thought she would have to be in Charleston so soon. Yet here she was. She looked down at the steering wheel she was holding onto. Her knuckles were white from gripping it so hard. Shocking all of her friends, Esperanza suddenly turned left at a random road and pulled over. Kiara looked at Pope confused. Esperanza opened the car door and stepped out of the car quickly before shutting the door. Esperanza's took a few steps forward and let out a shaky breath.

    “Oh no...” Catalina said solemly which made JJ turn around. “This is where Elena –” JJ got of the car before Catalina could even finish the sentence.

Esperanza looked at the area of the wreck, her mother's car wasn't here anymore but bits and pieces of were. She felt as though everything was finally come to the surface and crashing down on her. She was underwater. Again. She couldn't breathe when she heard footsteps behind her.

    “I told you I was handling it.” Esperanza said to the blonde boy without even looking back at him. She let out a breath and blinked back her tears. “And I am.” She turned back to JJ, but walked passed him and got in the car.

JJ stared at her in shock. He thought that this would be the thing that finally got her to break down. He thought this would be it. That she would finally allow herself to grieve her mother's death. But he was wrong. Oh so, wrong.