2.18 I've Got A Terrible Fear Approaching

Carlos stood outside his daughters room. Elena, on the inside, packed her things. Constance did it. She actually kicked Elena out when she refused to get rid of her baby. Elena knew the only place she could go would be Alexander's house. But she deeply dreaded having to tell him what happened when her parents found out. Elena walked out of her room and seen that her father was waiting for her. He looked at her sadly and pulled her into a hug.

    “Don't be too scared to call my office phone." He said. Elena pulled away, bid her father goodbye and completely ignored Constance and Jamille.

She opened Alexander's window, pushed her bags through before climbing in herself. He was sitting on his bed in confusion. “I got kicked out..” Elena said simply.

    “They're fancy people. They've had like three governors in the family.” Catalina explained to Pope. “They've run Charleston for like, 300 years.”

    “These kooks make our kooks look like pogues.” JJ said looking out the window, as did the other four. They were all terrified of the huge house infront of them.

    “You sure this is the place, Pope?” Esperanza asked.

    “Pretty sure.” Pope said opening the car door.

    “That's a huge fucking house. Who the hell needs a house this big?” Esperanza asked. Still staring at the big house.

    “Alright.” JJ said before getting out. The four following after very quickly. “Fat city, for sure.”

    “Twenty-seven King Street.” Pope said looking at the letter.

    “Talk about home security.” JJ said looking up at the house before back down at Esperanza.

    “Why's it so big?” She murmured to herself. Catalina stood on the other side of the car as then, next to Pope.

    “Why are there spikes up there.” Catalina asked, as she and Pope stepped closer to the fence.

    “Are those spikes to keep people out?” JJ asked.

Esperanza shook her head,“No. The slave quarters are over there. The spikes were to keep people in.” She said pointing. She looked at Pope and reached over to tap his shoulder. “You sure about this?” she asked him.

    “I got too.” Pope said. The five walked up to the door, and Pope knocked. “You think that was too much?”

    “It echoed the entire house. That's for sure. So they definitely heard it.” JJ nodded.

    “Maybe nobodys home." Kiara said.

    “It's a big house.. it might take awhile to get to the door- and he's knocking again.”

Pope's knocks were cut off by someone opening the door. Esperanza had to lean her head into JJ's back to hide her smile. The man looked over the five friends, he smiled and licked his lips at Esperanza before turning to Pope,“You must be Pope.”

     “Uhm..” Pope looked around.

Esperanza nodded ironically. “Yes that's your name.”

Pope gave her an unamused look before turning back to the man. “Are you Mr. Limbrey?”

    “Ms. Limbrey was expecting you yesterday.” The man said.

    “Told you she was woman.” Esperanza murmured to JJ.

    “Oh, I'm... I'm sorry. My car broke down on the way up here.” Pope said.

JJ jumped in immediately. “Carburetor blew up in the middle of Nowheresville.“ JJ forced an awkward apologetic smile. “Sorry about that.”

    “Yeah, she was, uh, real upset when you didn't show up.” The man looked back Pope.

Esperanza looked over at Pope. “We tried to call, but there's no number on the invitation..” JJ cleared his throat, uncomfortable with the whole situation. “We got here as fast as we could.” she had a terrible gut feeling. She could practically feel the fear and anxiety creeping onto the back of her neck.

    “She also expected you to come alone.” he said. Esperanza pushed her bottom lip out slightly. She did not like this man one bit.

    “I mean, these are my friends. They helped me find the Royal Merchant too. I-”

Pope's explanation was cut short. “The instructions were explicit. Your friends can stay outside.”

    “We're kind of a package deal, man.” JJ said.

    “JJ. It's okay. I got this.” Pope said turning to his blonde friend. “I'll be good.” he looked back at the girls for an affirmation.

    “Yeah. We'll be right here.” Catalina said quietly.

    “Keep the car running.”

    “Yep.” Kiara said. She grabbed Pope's hand. She was absolutely terrified.

The four waited in the car. Esperanza had a terrible feeling in her gut. “I don't like this.” She said voicing out her opinion once again to the four. “Look, if Limbrey is legit, then Ward gets arrested, and maybe Sarah gets the gold.” The four watched out the window as Pope walked closer to the slave quarters. “Does that look voluntary to you?”

    “That would be a negative.” JJ said.

    “I knew it." Esperanza sighed. “Come on.”

    “Wait, hold on, home on.” JJ grabbed her shoulder as she tried to get out.

    “What?”

    “They're going into the alley.” JJ said.

    “Go around back?” She asked.

JJ nodded and put the car in gear,“Yeah. We'll meet them on the other side.”

    “Okay.”

    “Let's do this thing, Nancy drew.” JJ said.

Esperanza turned to look at him. “Never call me that again.”

    “Okay what is up with you and hating Nancy?” JJ asked her.

    “That is literally the least important thing right now.” she said. “Hey be chill. Be chill.”

    “Yeah.”

    “For the record, I would like to announce to everyone that I was right. One. C limbrey was a girl. Two. This whole situation was sus.” she reached down to grab a brownie but JJ had stopped her.

    “Weed brownies. Weed brownies. You do not want those right now.” JJ said to her.

    “Wha- Sasha gave me weed brownies?” She asked in a light laugh. Slowly she slid the bowl back into her bag. “I'll save those for later I guess then.”

Closer

And

Closer

To Esperanza's and Kiara's big fight. I'll give it two maybe three more chapters. Ugh it makes me so sad to throw Kiara and Esperanza's friendship in the mud but I'm a fiend for giving my characters trauma and Drama. Anyways we Stan Essha for clear skin. It works. I would know because my skin is clearer than the night sky with no clouds.