2.17 Car Troubles and Brownies

Elena sat in her room listening to her parents arguing about 'the situation' through the air vents. Her father didn't see the big problem, Constance didn't like that.

    “The situation is horrendous, Carlos!” She heard her mother yell. “Wait until the Cameron's find out about this!”

    “The Cameron's? What do the Cameron's have to do with anything. She's our daughter not theirs.” Carlos defended.

    “I expected this from Jamille. But never from Elena. She was a good girl.” Elena heard her mother say and she let out a sigh.

    “And Jamille's not?” Carlos said in a offended tone. “Con, she is out daughter. It's our jobs to help her out with this.”

     “Not anymore.” Was the last thing Elena heard her mother say.

Esperanza let out a breath and leaned into JJ. Her eyes glanced up at the mirror to Kiara and Catalina who were in the back seat. Kiara looked up and met Esperanza's bloodshot and puffy eyes.

    “Guys, I've read this thing like a thousand times. It makes no sense.” Kiara said to them, looking down at the letter. “I mean the Limbreys own, like, half of Charleston.”

    “What do the kook kings of Charleston know about a murder on Kildare island.” Esperanza added while digging into her bag for a snack. 

    “Why you specifically?” JJ asked Pope. “That's the other creepy thing. You know?”

    “‘Please come alone.’ That's hella sus.”  Esperanza said sparing a look at JJ. “Ooo! The Brownies from Sash!”

    “I was thinking the same thing. I think it's because- Es can you please not eat in the truck.” Esperanza looked over at Pope with a mouth full of zebra cake. She opened her at let the non chewed part fall back into the wrapper. “That's disgusting.” Pope said shaking his head, and looking back at the road in time to see his dad's truck steaming.“Oh come on!”

    “Pull over. That's a lot of smoke, even for your dad's truck.” Kiara complained.

JJ coughed,“Pope, I got sensitive lungs, man!”

    “I'm pulling over.”

    “Pope, just slow down!” Catalina called out. Esperanza sat silently, she quickly glanced down to make sure her seat belt was on.

    “What are you doing, dude?” JJ asked as the truck skidded and didn't stop, nor slow done. Esperanza closed her eyes and leaned her head back onto the seat.

    “Okay, sure, yeah, right now.” Kiara said before the car came to an abrupt stop.

Pope let out a laugh of disbelief,“You okay, Es?”

Esperanza opened her eyes and nodded. She had then realized that her fingernails were digging into her thighs. Esperanza pulled her hands away and seen the sight of little blood from her fingernails cutting into her skin. “Shit.” She said when she came to the very real conclusion that they could be stuck in Charleston.

Pope took his keys out the car “No. No. No. No. No. No.”

    “Oh My.” JJ said as they got out of the car.