32

And I was just about to wonder when my life would start going to hell. Things had been too good for too long. It had been getting suspicious. 

Dancing with my boyfriend, having the time of my life, enjoying myself, and spending time with my friends and loved ones, I was having the best day of my life. That was until my eyes had landed on one of the prettiest boys I've ever seen. 

My laughter died down as quickly as it had started, my entire face dropping and mood changing in a single split second.

I felt like I was punched in the gut all of a sudden. The air got knocked out of my lungs as I watched Julien walk into the ballroom. He was so full of grace that he seemed to glide all over the room. He had two men, bodyguards, next to him. 

He was glowing celestially and with so much energy that his power made my knees tremble. He looked like another worldly creature. Perhaps an angel. The only thing missing was his wings and halo at that point. But I knew he was quite the opposite in reality. 

He had minimal makeup, some gold over his eyelids, but he still seemed like the prettiest person to me.

I felt sick. My stomach had dropped so far down to the depths of hell that I didn't even want it back. It was probably too damaged after being burnt down there. I swallowed thickly, my palms sweaty. I was so isolated at that moment, and in one second, all of the confidence I had gained throughout the evening had been swept under the fridge. 

I felt so disregarded, so small. But most of all, I felt insecure. I wanted to jump out of my skin and ran out of the ballroom, away from civilizations, and into the arms of my lover who I could only hope he hadn't seen the stunning creature enter the room.

My throat burned. What would happen if Romeo saw Julien? Would the feelings he had so desperately locked up - no - frozen, frozen in the deep dark corners of his many waiting rooms. That was what they were doing. Waiting. Waiting for the heat from Julien's irresistible spark to melt the frozen and set them all free.

My eyes remained locked onto Julien, and although I was directly boring my eyes into him, I felt as if I wasn't really seeing him. My mind was so vivid, so filled with the darkest thoughts I've had to deal with in a while, that my vision was nothing but a blur. My eyes couldn't comprehend what I was seeing. My mind was too filled up for that.

But when Julien's soft eyes met mine, hardening instantly, his elegant features melting into a scowl, fire burning behind those enraged eyes, a fire that I knew would be enough to melt a heart, I felt the tears appear in the corner of my eyes. My legs felt too weak to support me, and as I walked back towards one of the tables, I felt a hand reach out to me.

The hand grabbed me by my waist, pulling me towards a warm chest. I turned around, inhaling in Romeo's scent. I tried to calm down my breathing and let my heart rate go back to normal. Thankfully, the tears that were threatening to spill down my cheeks just a few seconds ago had disappeared with Romeo's appearance.

"Hey," Romeo said softly, taking off my mask, not letting me hide into his chest. He grabbed my cheeks, looking into both of my eyes as I felt naked standing in a room with tons of masked people and having them see my bare face. "Were you crying?"

Shit.

"No," I replied a little too quickly, averting my gaze and not looking into his eyes. 

"Don't lie to me. You have no reason to. If you're not feeling well, we can go home. But you have to tell me the truth." 

I looked into both of his eyes, reaching into the sweetness of his worrying nature. He truly liked me. I repeated that inside of my head a few times before looking behind him, tilting my head slightly. Romeo patiently waited for my reply, his gaze still on my face.