20

With Romeo's hand on my thigh, tightly gripping the flesh, the car ride remained silent. His eyes had spoken to me, and he was probably adoring my physical appearance at the moment, but he hadn't said anything other than "let's go." I had been expecting compliments, but I was looking forward to the party too much to care. His warm hand comforted me anyway.

"You look handsome," I said. Don't be shy, Romeo. Give me compliments. That was what I wanted to scream at him. If he wasn't going to say anything, I'd not so gladly make the first move.

He glanced at me, eyebrows raised slightly. He most definitely wasn't expecting that. With an icy glare, he looked away, turning to the window before replying. "You look amazing."

My heart skipped a beat, heat instantly rushing to my cheeks. I was expecting something lowkey, something that wasn't the adjective "amazing" or anything similar. I couldn't even thank him properly, but instead leaned on his shoulder, trying to cuddle up as a way to show my gratefulness. I was feeling even more nervous than I had during the first dinner party we attended.

Especially since I was going to meet his friends now. And please don't remind me about the afterparty, our first scene together. I bit my lip at the thought. I never would've imagined myself being excited to experience something like this, let alone agree to it. But here I was, imagining what we would first try out. I was sure we wouldn't go all the way today since he hadn't even kissed me.

The thought was like a finger putting out a candle. My heart sank. He hadn't even kissed me yet. My face fell, and I slowly stood up straight, clearing my throat and moving further away from him.

What was I hoping for? This was merely a BDSM relationship. We hadn't kissed, made love, or anything couples did, and I was letting myself fall into this spiral of a fantasy about us being together. Literally. I wasn't going to lie, I shipped myself with him very much. I mean, the visuals, the heigh difference, the enemies to lovers story arc, the kidnapped and kidnapper, the submissive and dominance, you get my point. It was even toxic at first... perfect.

We were everything the fantasy should be. Without the feelings.

The one-sided part of it all hurt me. But before I could let myself analyze his every move towards me and overthink everything he's said to me, the car stopped. I looked over at Romeo, who was on his phone, texting someone. By the looks of it, it was the friend we were meeting today. They were discussing if we had arrived yet or not.

My car door opened, the driver walking to the other side to open Romeo's door as well. Getting out and breathing in the warmer air, taking a break from the frigid atmosphere back at the palace, I looked around. The building was elegant, yet smaller than the first. It was almost like an actual restaurant instead of a club or party place.

I felt a cold hand grab mine, lacing our fingers and dragging me towards the entrance.

"How are you feeling?" Romeo asked. I was okay, just internally dying and hoping my hand wasn't sweaty or gross-feeling to him.

"Nervous." I simply replied, my eyes on the floor as the doors opened, a butler welcoming us in. 

My grip on Romeo's hand tightened, my heartbeat increasing by the second. The volume of the crowd grew as we neared the location, classical music playing in the background. There were huge chandeliers hung everywhere, with pretty flowers in golden vases, the floor shiny and clean, the smell of perfume and cologne lingering faintly in the air, the warmness of people's laughter, and most importantly the coziness of their presence. It made me feel sick.

"Are you okay?" Romeo asked, still walking without stopping. He glanced at me, trying to see if I was doing alright.

"I'm fine," I replied, swallowing the lump in my throat.