Chapter 7

For maybe the first time in his life, Harry finally understood what people meant by deafening silence.

The unnatural quiet of the penthouse apartment was nearly palpable, like an icy fog filling the space with an unnerving silence. The absence of sound standing in stark contrast to the internal cacophony of emotions he and Edward were both experiencing.

He sat in the plush armchair facing the east wall of the apartment which was mostly large windows, framing his view of the New York winter sunrise. Brilliant hues of gold and red melding into the purples and deep indigo toned remnants of the night sky. The skyline slowly taking shape against the slowly brightening winter sky. Golden rays casting radiant glimmers of light off the fresh coating of snow clinging to the rooftops. It was picturesque and serene and utterly inappropriate given the somber rumination Harry found himself stuck in.

The tepid sunlight made its way into the living room of the penthouse, offering its paltry warmth against Harry's cheek. It made him long for the nearly perpetual summer of LA. Even in the dead of winter, he could luxuriate in the warm familiar glow of the Southern California sun.

But Here, it would be weeks before there would even be a whisper of balmy spring warmth that would be detectable. He continued to stare out at the city as it came to life below. He mulled over just how much had changed in the past few days. A week, a month, even a year ago, if someone had told him he'd be sitting in Edward's New York home while their omegas recovered from a soul bond induced drop, he would never have believed them. But here he sat in the silent living room of Edward's penthouse watching the late-January dawn and trying desperately to figure out what the hell to do next.

Harry's thoughts drifted to the fact that His and Edward's birthday was right around the corner. He recalled the last birthday they'd spent together, the hours and hours he'd spent tangled in the sheets of their hotel room in Rome with Edward whispering sweet nothings to him each time he'd knotted Harry.

A tingle of pleasure sizzled down Harry's spine as he let himself relive that night. It had been years since he'd let himself even entertain the memory that night, far to painful after their separation but now the memory of Edward's strong hands gripping his hips and the moans and grunts that punctuated each delicious thrust from his alpha, all had a familiar warmth blooming in the pit of Harry's stomach.

Edward had been Harry's first everything. First kiss, first time, first love and first heartbreak.
He could remember vividly the first time feeling Edward's hands on his body. The overwhelming pleasure coupled with a sense of absolute belonging. Edward knew him completely, body and soul. Two souls inextricably intertwined.

He surrendered himself to the memories he'd kept sealed tight for so long, afraid to let his mind even drift close to them over the past five years. The onslaught of memories and the tempest of emotions they elicited began to take shape inside Harry, like the gathering clouds of a hurricane, slowly twisting itself into a force to be reckoned with. powerful and eminent.

In the doorway, Edward stood silently. He watched his brother intently, feeling the specters of Harry's emotions through their bond. He focused on what his brother was experiencing; confusion, trepidation. He studied Harry close, watching the physical manifestations of his troubles throughts flash across his beautiful face. Edward was suddenly overwhelmed with the need to press his lips to the crease in Harry's brow. To smooth out the familiar worry line and comfort his mate.

He was as stunning as Edward remembered. His usually light skin glowing with a hint of tan. His dark ringlets cascading down to his shoulders, messy and wild from running his hand through them as he always did when he was worried. Golden honey strands, a product of the California sunshine, caught the first rays of light streaming in through the large windows. Edward studied him closely, really seeing him for the first time since their unexpected meeting at the gala. He seemed smaller somehow. He was always a bit slight compared to Edward but he looked as though the last few years had eroded his very being in some way. A pang of guilt jolted through Edward's chest. He couldn't help but wonder how much of that was his fault, the sadness he'd caused chipping away bit by bit at his beautiful Hazza.