Chapter 9

The mid-afternoon sun slanted through the large windows of the penthouse, casting long shadows across the polished floors. It was quiet, save for the occasional splash of water against the tile as either Harry or Louis showered in the guest bath. Ana stood at the large windows, pinching the bridge of her nose and resting her head against the cold glass as the dull throb of a headache began to form near her temples. It had been hours since Edward had left the apartment. No texts, no calls, not the slightest indication of when, or if he would be back. The thought turned her stomach and sharpened the pain in her skull. What the hell had they gotten themselves into?

She pulled on the first coat she could find, tucking the wool collar up around her neck and fishing out her stash of cigarettes and a lighter from a rarely worn rain jacket shoved into the back of the closet.

She knew that smoking probably wasn't the best idea in her "condition" as Dr. White had put it, but the promise of temporary chemical calm that nicotine offered was irresistible at the moment.

She slid open the heavy glass doors and stepped into the frigid air of the small balcony.

Harry turned around, hearing the door slide open. "Yes. I think that's best. Tell them I apologize for cancelling on such short notice and that I'm willing to reschedule in a few weeks. Thanks, Liz"

Harry's stunning green eyes held Ana's gaze, never breaking through his conversation. It was striking how similar his eyes were to Edward's. The same deep forest green with little flecks of gold and the slightest touch of blue around the edges. More striking still was the sense of ease Ana felt at being in his presence, something she had only ever previously felt with Edward.

He ended the call before sliding the phone into his trouser pocket. Still he maintained the trancelike eye contact with the omega.

"I didn't think anyone would be out here." She said pulling the long black coat tighter around her body. "Didn't mean to interrupt."

"You didn't." Harry reassured.

Ana nodded in understanding. "I'll just..." she trailed off, stepping back toward the door.

"No. Stay." Harry blurted, an odd pull to be close to the female omega. "It's your balcony after all." He added sheepishly.

Ana huffed a laugh at the flustered alpha and stepped closer to the railing of the balcony.

"I just wrapped up a call with work. Taking some time away to be with Louis and... figure things out" Harry explained as he tucked his mobile back to the pocket of the black wool coat.

His words held the bitter edge of uncertainty, almost tangible in the swirls of misty breath that accompanied his heavy sigh.

"Do you mind if I..." Anna produced a single cigarette and silver lighter from the pocket of the coat to signal her intention.

His alpha instinct flared as he watched her light the cigarette. She closed her eyes and took a long inhale. The long dark lashes fanned out on her cheeks reminding him so much of Louis. She exhaled the smoke that twisted and swirled past her lips before dissipating into the frigid air.

"Before you say anything, I know It's bad for me." She ran a hand through her golden hair. Harry recognized the gesture immediately, a habit she picked up from Edward.

"I just needed... something ya know, after  this morning."

"Yea, I know what you mean." Harry laughed humorlessly.

Anna held out the smoldering cigarette, lifting her brows in invitation.

Harry shook his head. "Can't. Asthma."