Chapter 12

The dimly lit expanse of hallway seemed to go on forever. Her footfalls on the marble floors were drowned out by the deafening rhythm of her own heartbeat. Even as the bitter taste of bile crept up her throat, she couldn't keep her limbs from moving on their own accord as she approached the ornately carved doors.

everything had gone exactly to plan, she'd played her role perfectly and this final detail was all that stood between her and the promise of freedom; Her way out of the hell she'd been living every day since she'd left for New York. 

The pistol pressed to her skin seemed to grow heavier by the second as she finally reached the doors of the study, familiar voices tinged with anger Were muffled from the heavy wooden doors. Every fiber of her being screamed at her to turn back as she entered the well appointed study of the Styles Estate But She knew exactly what she had to do. She'd been given explicit instructions and  resolved herself to finish what she had started.

Time seemed to stand still inside that room with every minute detail seared into her mind.

The rich smell of the polished mahogany furniture.

The weight of the gun in her hand.

The languid heat of the summer night drifting in from the terrace windows.

The devastation of betrayal and pure fear in those haunting green eyes and her choked voice whispering "I'm sorry" as she raised the gun level with his chest.

Ana sat up in bed, jolted from sleep and panting. She tried to normalize her breathing. 'Just a dream' she tried to tell herself. But it wasn't only a dream. It was the remnants of a memory, specters of a night that had changed her life and the lives of so many others. No matter how hard she tried to forget, she never could shake those haunting Forrest green eyes of the metallic tang of blood that played in a tortuous loop over and over.

The panic slowly drained away, leaving behind the sinking pull of dread as she remembered the events of the past few days.

Pulling on her blush silk robe, she made her way to the kitchen, bracing for whatever damage lay in the wake of yesterday's confrontation between the alphas. Instead, she heard the distinct low rumble of Edward's laugh, a welcome noise, like music after the tense silences and harsh words of the days before.

She peered into the kitchen to find her Alpha standing at the kitchen island, the picture of domestic bliss as he sipped his tea and listened intently to Louis.

Edward's eyes caught hers as he noticed her presence, mood sobering as she stepped into the room. Just as with Louis and Harry, he knew he owed her an apology as well.

"C'mere doll," Edward almost whispered, holding out a hand as he crossed the kitchen and pulling her into his arms. Her warm sweet scent calmed his alpha as he nuzzled into her neck before pulling back to face her.

"Forgive me?" He pleaded, staring into the tranquil amber pools of her eyes.

"Always," She replied, giving his arms a reassuring squeeze.

Louis could feel the compassion and acceptance that passed between them with just a simple touch; the faint reverberations thrumming through his bond with the female omega.

Edward kissed her forehead as the tension visibly left his body. Bonded or not, it was clear that the two of them were tethered to one another by something equally profound; a depth of understanding between them rooted in the knowledge that no one else would ever know the violence it took to become so gentle.

"Let me make you some tea. Are you hungry?" Edward fussed as he made his way to the covered dishes on the range.

"Harry made breakfast," he added as he assembled the plate of eggs Benedict and toast.