𝐈

┏━━━━°⌜ 𝘙𝘌𝘔𝘌𝘔𝘉𝘌𝘙 𝘔𝘌 ⌟°━━━━┓

              ┗━━━━°⌜𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘪 ⌟°━━━━┛

HER BOSS was yelling at her.

His voice rang through her ears, though Kai barely registered what he was saying. She didn't need to, for she knew what this was about and frankly she didn't much care.

He was angry, that was visible on his face; his flared nostrils and burning, red neck. She didn't know how he had the capacity to yell as much as he did. She figured he would fail to keep his voice raised soon, seeing as the words that he spat out of his mouth were becoming cracked and raspy.

What she couldn't figure out was why he was so angry. What she did was fair. He failed to pay her her full salary for a few months now, promising she would get all of it soon. Kai had known he was lying, but his honeyed words wooed her just to nod her head and say that it was alright. Soon enough, her rent got impossible to pay and she had to find a small apartment in a shady part of town, still waiting for the money she was promised.

Again and again, her boss failed to deliver it. And Kai grew sick of it. She stole all the money she could find in the bar she was working in, not caring who would see or notice.

And now, he was firing her. Even saying he would call the police on her for stealing.

Kai, again, didn't care. The money she stole still didn't meet the amount she was owed. It was likely she would come back and take what was missing a few days later.

It was hard to put her old ways behind, no matter how hard she tried. The past caught up, always.

"Good luck finding someone to work in this hell hole." She untied her apron, threw it in his face before she walked out of the bar in a fury.

The air outside was crisp and cold, biting into the exposed skin of her arms and sending shivers crawling down her spine. The night was aglow with bright city lights. Though the city seemed so alive, it was quiet: only the occasional barking of a faraway dog or a hum of a car broke the silence around her.

Kai, now starting to get cold, put on her jacket. The baggy form of it made her look smaller than she was, the black material almost blending with her hair. Though the jacket was a bit big for her, she didn't mind. This was the warmest jacket she had, and indisputably her favorite.

Not quite feeling like going home yet, Kai leaned against a wall of a nearby building and pulled out a cigarette. Placing it between her lips she drew on it, letting the smoke travel down to her lungs and back out to dissolve in the air.

Rent was due soon, and money was scarce. She feared if she didn't manage to gather the rest she would have to spend her nights out in the streets. Not to mention that she was now jobless, and finding a decently paying job was hard.