𝐕𝐈𝐈

┏━━━━°⌜ 𝘙𝘌𝘔𝘌𝘔𝘉𝘌𝘙 𝘔𝘌 ⌟°━━━━┓

              ┗━━━━°⌜𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘷𝘪𝘪 ⌟°━━━━┛

SLUMPING, Sae-Byeok strode in the direction of the dispersing crowd. As she moved, she casted glances over the now blood-stained field. So many bodies scattered around in pools of scarlet, lifeless eyes staring blankly into nothing. From the green doors, more staff marched in, carrying boxes with pink ribbons tied atop them.

With a start, Sae-Byeok realized they were coffins meant for the fallen players. So many players, so many boxes. With another startling thought, Sae-Byeok realized that could've easily been her laying on the field, waiting to be locked in a coffin.

She tried not to look as the men in red plucked the bodies up and placed them inside, rather focusing her gaze on the player walking in front of her.

23 was visibly trying not to glance at the bodies too, keeping her head focused on something else instead. Then, she turned to the side as two men carrying a box marched past them. Her breath caught, and Sae-Byeok noted the tremble in her hands. 23 was just as frightened as she was.

She had even looked different when she talked to Sae-Byeok. Her eyes, glimmering with curiosity prior to the massacre, were haunted when she talked to Sae-Byeok at the finish line. 23 had even tried to brighten the mood, but the tremor in her voice didn't go unnoticed by Sae-Byeok.

Though Sae-Byeok couldn't fault her for that, given the horror that had just occurred. If nothing, she was grateful for 23's voice, for it had pulled her from her inner terror. And the eye contact they held as they talked kept Sae-Byeok standing still, giving her time to calm and compose herself.

She had a sudden urge to pull her back, talk to her some more for her thoughts were getting more and more intense. But, she scolded herself and kept her hand stiff at her side.

There was no point in making friends, and she had promised herself she'd keep to her own company throughout this game. Forming alliances wasn't worth the hassle. At the end of the day, she planned to win.

She needed that money desperately, for her brother and her mother. But, so did everyone else here. And not everybody would play nice.

She didn't trust people.

And yet, when 23 had smiled at her... it hadn't felt forced.

She pushed that thought away as soon as it surfaced. What was she thinking?

That girl was just another player. Her competition, and there could only be one winner and Sae-Byeok intended it to be her.