𝐗

┏━━━━°⌜ 𝘙𝘌𝘔𝘌𝘔𝘉𝘌𝘙 𝘔𝘌 ⌟°━━━━┓

              ┗━━━━°⌜𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘹 ⌟°━━━━┛

A CAT was running over the sea of roofs outside her window.

Kai could see it from the corner of her eye. Its stealthy silhouette jumping nimbly over the slick surface of the roof.

The rain had just started to pour in, and through the glass of her window the cat and the view seemed more like a watercolor painting than anything else. Lights from the city burned brightly in distance, their flames blurred by the trails of water dribbling down the window in a steady beat.

When she looked for the cat again, her eyes didn't find it. It had probably run off to whatever shelter it had waiting, for the rain was starting to pour with more fervor as seconds passed.

Kai didn't mind the rain. It was pleasant. The quiet pulse of droplets hitting the glass of her window, then running down the surface like little rivers streaming for her entertainment alone.

The streets had started emptying way before the rain fell. People must have seen the dark clouds rolling towards them, rumbling their warnings, and scattered into their homes not wanting to get soaked up when the rain came.

And as fast as it came, it went away, leaving the roads slick and trees dripping with rainwater.

Kai cursed internally as a droplet dripped from somewhere above and landed right on her head.

She shivered from the icy air of the morning. The chill seeped through even the thick folds of her jacket, caressing and wrapping around the skin of her arms like silken ribbons. And yet, she wasn't deterred. She wouldn't let herself get discouraged by the weather, not when she had a task ahead.

Her mission today was easy, or so she hoped.

For the game had been terminated, and with it her hopes of getting money crushed, she was left almost penniless. And there was only one way to get the money: pickpocketing.

The market was bustling with people, and Kai had no trouble blending in with the throng, given her small figure and quick feet. The vendors displayed their goods on their booths, shouting tempting offers at the passers-by in hopes of luring them to buy something.

With all their efforts of baiting people in, the vendors were distracted, careless, and it was easy for Kai to take whatever she wanted from their wares. By the time she was done, her pockets bulged with trinkets and she had an apple to eat. Not bad for a few minutes' work. As the crowd moved, Kai let herself be taken away by the human current. Her hands darted in and out, alway in fleeting touches. Some money from a man's pocket, a bracelet from a woman's wrist - nothing too big and nothing too difficult to steal.