4.

Billy and Olivia were waiting for Max after school. Olivia was still a bit paranoid from what she saw the other day.

She took a deep breath, "you're acting weird again," said Billy. "Im not" she crossed her arms; Billy looked at her, not believing what she said.

Olivia saw that Max was walking, but there was a boy behind her who seemed like they were arguing.

She started to make her way to them "where are you going, Olivia." "Ill be right back, William."

"Don't call me that," he said irritably.

"I dont want to be in your stupid party anyway. Im out. have a nice life," Max said, turning around,

"Max!" He called after her. "You still stink, by the way."

"Hey, Maxie, you alright. What was that about?"

"Dont worry about it, O its nothing." "Are you sure? If he bothers you, you know you can tell me right."

"Thanks, but I dont need your help. I can take care of myself," she said, walking closer to the car. Olivia looked back at the boy.

"That kid you were talking to, who is he," Billy asked as the two girls were near his car. "He's no one," Max said, opening the door.

"Why was he talking to you," Billy said, lighting a cigarette. "It was just about a stupid class assignment."

"Then why are you so upset?"

"Im not."

"Billy, leave her alone."

"Is he causing any trouble," Billy asked. "Why do you care," asked Max, annoyed.

"Because Max, youre a piece of shit, but were family now, the three of us whether we like it or not. Meaning Im stuck looking out for you."

"What will I ever do witho-" "Hey!" Billy got a hold of Maxs arm. "Let go of her, Billy."

"This is serious shit, okay. Im older than both of you," Billy said firmly, looking back at Olivia. "And something you learn is that there are a certain type of people in this world that you stay away from, and that kid is one of them," Billy said, letting go of her arm.

"Hes just a kid Billy, she's allowed to have friends." "Not with people like him. You hear me, Max, stay away from him."

They drove off, Max had tears in her eyes, and Olivia wished Steve would have given her a ride home.

At the Hargrove house, Max was on her bed, her blanket covering her from head to toes, her back facing the door. Olivia went into her room and took a seat at the edge of her bed.

"Maxie," she said quietly. "Go away," she said sadly.

"Dont listen to Billy; you arent a piece of shit; he is." Max turned around, looking at her with tears in her eyes.

"Oh, Maxie." She hugged her stepsister.

"You can be friends with whoever you like, just dont get in trouble, alright. I know that Im no one to tell you what to do, but just in case you needed to hear it," she smiled at her.

"There are these four boys, the ones that I mentioned before." Olivia nodded, remembering when she saw two of the boys back at the arcade.

"They act like they want to be my friends, but then they have secrets from me. They locked themselves in a room which Im not allowed to go in. And now Lucas is telling me that he cant tell me anything for my own safety."

Olivia thought for a minute "maybe they arent sure if you are trustworthy." "Which they are obviously wrong," she added quickly.

"If they dont want to be your friends, its their loss, Maxie you are a great person and such a badass," Olivia said, bumping her shoulder making Max smile. "Thanks, O."

The two girls continued talking and started working on their homework in Max's room. They shared chocolate that Max got back from Halloween. "I kinda miss trick or treating," said Olivia. "We should go together next year." Olivia smiled, "really, you want me to go." "Sure, but you will need a better costume than the one you wore this year."

Both girls laugh "yeah, I guess you're right."