14 || father, tell me

Clear-headed and open-eyedWith nothing left untriedStanding calmly at the crossroads, no desire to runThere's no hurry any more when all is said and done-When All Is Said And Done, ABBA

With nothing left untried
Standing calmly at the crossroads, no desire to run
There's no hurry any more when all is said and done
-When All Is Said And Done, ABBA

Clear-headed and open-eyedWith nothing left untriedStanding calmly at the crossroads, no desire to runThere's no hurry any more when all is said and done-When All Is Said And Done, ABBA

June 3rd, 2010
Odin's Palace, Asgard

Overlooking the city, Heimdall stands on a balcony of the palace, staring out at the place where the observatory once stood. Slowly, I walk over and stand at his side, taking in the view of the stars that go on forever before our city. Despite all its grandeur and might, Asgard is but a small speck in the vast universe.

"Where did the Bifrost take you?", Heimdall asks, not looking at me.

I glance at him, confused, "How did you know?"

"I turned my gaze upon you yet you evaded my sight and I assume that was not of your bidding. The Bifrost has a mind of its own. Wherever you were sent was decided by a higher power than the Allfather himself."

"There was a Titan, though we were not on Titan. We were not on any world I know of. There was a throne and a gauntlet and... He called me something...", I rack my brain to remember, "The Nótt. He said I was 'the embodiment of night'."

"Ah.", he nods understandingly.

"You know what he spoke of?", I question.

"Each Dea is not only powered by an infinity stone but each have their own destiny that they will fulfill. The elders still work to foresee each one. All we have for now are names: the Megin- the power stone; the Lygi- the reality stone; the Hyggiandi, the mind stone; the Fyrir, the time stone; the Sál, the soul stone; and you, the Nótt, the space stone.", he explains.

My mouth forms an O-shape and I tilt my head in deep thought, "How did he know that if even I did not?"

"That... That I do not know.", he admits.

I glance at him with a small smirk, "You don't know something for once? What a refreshing change.", a small smile forms on his ever-stern face, "So, what did I miss during my time on Midgard?"

"Surprisingly, chaos didn't leave Asgard along with you, as I had expected it to. Though amidst the trouble there were moments of peace.", he turns to look at me finally, "I did miss you though, little one. You and all the havoc you bring with you."

We remain in silence for a minute or two, "He- the Titan- he said something else. He said I was a goddess."

The man who practically raised me thinks for a moment, "I suppose you are in some ways. You were raised alongside the princes. You have abilities no commoner would. You fight for Asgard and every realm. And you have the people of Asgard's respect."

"But I'm of common lineage and my powers don't come from the Allfather or Asgard itself but from some unseen power."

"You are a goddess and you're not a goddess. What you are is something nobody has ever witnessed before- a power beyond even my vision. What you are is unique and spectacular and much more than a mere goddess.", he tells me, "You may not be a goddess but I suspect you will be a queen someday and a fine one at that."

My cheeks flush red, "Oh, be quiet, would you?"

He smiles to himself, "We can save this conversation for another time, though, just so you know, I've suspected your affections for him for many a year. I'm glad you've finally come to see what everyone else already does.", I only blush deeper at his words, embarrassed like a child.

"Heimdall, could I ask you something?", I ask, to which he nods, "My father, did you know him?"

He nods, "Well."

"What happened to him? My mother dares not speak of him, out of shame, I suppose. Where is he now? If he's still..."

"After he found out that he'd gotten your mother pregnant out of wedlock, he panicked, afraid of what would happen to him. One day he managed to evade my watch as I was with the Allfather at the palace and he opened the Bifrost. He escaped, I know not where to this day."

"So he abandoned me?", I say, a slight tremble in my voice.

Slowly, he nods, "I suppose so."

I blink back my glassy eyes, "That is fine though. You have been more of a father to me than he ever would have been.", I smile up at him, "And I have all the family I would ever need in my mother."

He wraps an arm around my shoulder, which may be the most affection I've ever seen him show, "I'm glad to have you back, Astrid.". From inside, we hear the quiet hum of the orchestra playing at the banquet, "Though, I believe a certain prince may be missing you inside."

I laugh lightly, "The teasing is not appreciated, Heimdall."

"Go, enjoy the night, it is in honor of you and Thor's return after all.", he tells me; I hesitate slightly, "If you need me, you know where I'll be."

"Right here, as always.", I say turning to leave, though I hesitate in the doorway, "And, Heimdall, maybe you should try and enjoy the night for once in a while."

"I'll enjoy the night when every war, conflict, and prejudice in the universe has been put to rest."

I smirk before leaving and calling behind me, "You're the life of the party, as ever."

A message from the author:Only two more chapters left now! Anyways, hope you all had a good week! Remember to vote and comment! See you all next chapter! (;

Only two more chapters left now! Anyways, hope you all had a good week! Remember to vote and comment! See you all next chapter! (;

- Hannah xoxo

Word count: 967

Date published: July 16th, 2022